|Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions|
| ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|04-28-2012, 04:11 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Some questions about 98 custom as tournament gun
I recently purchase a tippmann effect 98 custom, and really want to turn it into my main rec/tournament gun, but I have some questions about using it. Been a LONG time since I've used a tippmann, so don't really know how to best use them.
1) Can I used compressed air on it? I've only seen tippy's with CO2 and don't know if its one of those gun that doesn't really work well on compressed. It doesn't have any regulators or anything. Other than the WAS board and eyes, its got a rufus dog bolt and center feed, thats it. Would I need to install a regulator system to use compressed effectively?
2) Are there any upgrades I should invest in? I want to keep it looking as noob as possible, but upgrade it internally if there are any worthwhile investments.
3) Any maintenance tips?
4) I don't like the amount of space I have in the trigger guard, nor do I especially like this plastic double trigger (I think its the stock double trigger that comes on them). Are there upgrade versions that would give me some more room?
5) What BPS is a tippmann really capable of? I don't know what this valve is capable of. As fast as a hopper can feed? Or less? This board will do 30bps and I've use vlocities mostly, sometimes my rotor.
|04-28-2012, 08:56 AM||#2 (permalink)|
Im the right guy to answer this since I have an effect gun too
1) Nitro/compressed air year do it.. they will run fine. You will need an HP tank unless you have the same valve I do, then you may be able to get away with mid pressure tanks.
2)A good barrel....... nothing else internally honestly does anything. I had TPI install there antichop bolt into my gun at an even and it does work half the time. Tech T internals are garbage and dont do much for the money your paying
3) Oil the oring on the hammer through the cocking knob slot. And a drop or two of oil in the asa to lube the valve... unless you have a reg on there than take that off and oil before the reg.
4) Tech T makes a nice trigger but the gaurd I think is the same... There isn't much in the way of triggers or guards out there but the triggers are easy to make since you dont need a sear plate
5) Ive had mine set to around 20 BPS... it will do it and its scary, but the draw back is the stock detent is a little weak for a rotor and center feed.....Give it about 6 months with a rotor then take it out and get a new one.
RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
|04-28-2012, 02:34 PM||#3 (permalink)|
You should be able to use HPA, just make sure that you use a high pressure output reg.
After that, this was a Tippmann Effect marker, and some of those guys were notorious for modding the marker to be like a spool valve in a Tippmann body. Keeping in mind, they dissolved before Bob Long made the Marq series of markers, so it may be a crap shoot what you have there.
|04-28-2012, 02:49 PM||#4 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jun 2009
What kind of barrel does it have?
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
|04-28-2012, 06:51 PM||#6 (permalink)|
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey
where are the pictures?
i would get a reg regardless to help control the velocity more so than the stock velocity adjuster, if it even has one.
Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|