mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Exclamation I need help finding some fabric!

I have had a request for Rhodesian Camo Ban-Dus to go along with the abundance of similar uniforms on the market today. I have no issues making these and offering them to players. I DO however have an issue with getting the fabric. LOL

I have just spent almost 2 hours searching the internet for a place to acquire this fabric only to find hundreds of places that sell ITEMS made of it, but none that sell the fabric itself. grrrrrr

I know they DO sell it because Flydanas come in it as well as all the other items (uniforms, caps, gear, you name it).

HELP!!!!!

I have a special treat for anyone who can find me a cost effective source for the fabric.

Thank you in advance and good hunting!

(ADDED: and here is a link to what it looks like.... middle picture.... acara/Camo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting )
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CamoDeafie Send a message via MSN to CamoDeafie

SO thats the pattern i saw at the SPPL.....

it was slightly different shades, but printed on what appears to be jersey type fabric with "Spec Ops Elite" and the Spec Ops Paintball company's logo hidden in there, looks pretty effective
maybe try IMS Surplus? im not sure where they get materials from, who's the company making these items?
CamoDeafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
SO thats the pattern i saw at the SPPL.....

it was slightly different shades, but printed on what appears to be jersey type fabric with "Spec Ops Elite" and the Spec Ops Paintball company's logo hidden in there, looks pretty effective
maybe try IMS Surplus? im not sure where they get materials from, who's the company making these items?
Correct. That is indeed the pattern folks are wanting the ban-dus to go with... as well as actual uniforms of that type (they are very easy to get).

A member over at the A5OG found some foreign fabric sources that have close to what I need if not exactly. I have sent them a contact request and have to see what they say.

HOPEFULLY this will be just what I need and the search can be over. But folks are more than free to keep looking, it never hurts. And if this source falls through I will need something to fall back on.
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Have you looked into screen printing camo patterns, Sam?

I seem to recall some cd-roms floating around with printable camo patterns. Not sure what the rig to print on fabric looks like or costs, but it might be something you should check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Have you looked into screen printing camo patterns, Sam?

I seem to recall some cd-roms floating around with printable camo patterns. Not sure what the rig to print on fabric looks like or costs, but it might be something you should check out.
It is an idea but not one I think would be cost effective. Plus you would run into cracking issues over time and stuff like that. Now dye sublimation would be a good way to go if you are going to have it “printed”. But that too would be pretty expensive for this application since I am not personally set up for printing at that size (heck or any size at this point). The bigger companies like CSG, ANIMAL, and others do their stuff in dye sublimation.

If I was going to print it myself the best way is a dye sublimation setup, but for one that would print 60" wide fabric would be VERY expensive... heck the t-shirt front size setups are not cheap either. grrrrrr

So I am stuck trying to find a source that actually makes the stuff. I know it is out there since folks can get flydanas made out of it. But I doubt they (the places that make them) would give up their sources to someone who would be in essence making a competing product.

I also need to buy it by the yard and not by the bolt. Generally I buy my “internet” fabric by 5-7 yard increments. Locally I can get away with a couple yards at a time though.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I cant find it anywhere...

The best you could do is pick-up a jacket or what ever and cut it up.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneythief View Post
I cant find it anywhere...

The best you could do is pick-up a jacket or what ever and cut it up.

-Jake
Unfortunately that is just not cost effective and the sizes of pristine (as in solid) material I need for each part is more than can be had with a top or even very long pants.

But like I said earlier someone from the A5OG gave me a couple links to a place that may have what I need. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Pickle Send a message via Yahoo to Pickle

Perhaps someone could do some snooping int he garment district in LA for you?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
I've porked many

Is this what you are looking for?
Rothco: Solid...Reliable...Steadfast This is simular, but not quite the same. The British dpm pattern 94 is also simular.
Maybe Rothco would part with some of thier fabric. Have you thought of getting some fabric dye and an airbrush?

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos20/rhoripj.jpg
Is this what you are looking for?
Rothco: Solid...Reliable...Steadfast This is simular, but not quite the same. The British dpm pattern 94 is also simular.
Maybe Rothco would part with some of thier fabric. Have you thought of getting some fabric dye and an airbrush?
I think that is a good match for my needs, yes. And I am actually a Rothco dealer. Normally though these types of places do not offer the base fabric for sale. I have contacted a few places this past week though and am waiting on replies back.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts