mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

when tapping a 1/8 npt port

How much "meat" do i need to safely tap a port for a gauge?
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

What material? If you were going to be permanently mounting it (like brazing a fitting into the side of a sheridan) then I'd say not a lot (like 1/16 to 3/32 of an inch). You may need something that is as deep as the diameter of the fitting... that would be a safe bet.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yea i dont think it can be done with aluminum. I looked up some machinest guidelines and they said the port should be at least .232 deep or something like that. So no. Sux too now ill have to use a reg extender with a gauge instead
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

The depth is because the thread is tapered, so unless it can go deep enough, there won't ever be the chance of a seal.

What are you trying to do this to? Sounds like a reg. Have a picture?

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
1/8 not can be a pain to tap. I usually drill the hole ax little larger than recommended if starting from scratch and you will need space to ru. The tap in pretty deep for the threads to be correct. If there is a bottom in the hole you are tapping it may cause problems but you can start the tap until it bottoms out and then grind some off the tap to go deeper but this sill ruin your tap for further use unless the hole will go up past where you ground it, also grinding taps can be tricky you need to be careful not to go too far and not to ruin the cutting edges. A picture of what your day tapping would help us help you more.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Its the bba valve body of an empire trracer
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

So you are planning to side tap it?

Well if you did that in the right spot you might have enough... but I think you may run into a problem more from the valve area and the tank asa hole... depending on the thickness of the wall between the two you might be able to do it (look in the asa and find the air passage... you would want to tap on the opposite side of that if it's on a side so you don't block it) but if it's a thin wall I think you would be SOL because you'd open the bba up to all sorts of obstruction problems... valve spring may not seat right... tank may not screw in far enough.

You need to sit and draw it all out and take some measurements first.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah thats what im thinking. Theres definately not 1/4 in worth of wall there and thats just from chexking by hand. Side porting would be wat k wanted it would have to be into the valve body where the spring is. The asa threada go almost to the back wall so theres not enough room there for a port without hurting the threads. As long as the male end of the gauge didnt go so deep it hit the cup seal or sprong you migjt be ok. But then theres stll not enough wall for guage to grab onto
Definately going tl have to be an extender i think
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Oh you meant tapping into the side of the back wall? Yeah thats thick enough.but how would it read wothout having access to the airway?
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
As long as you can get a few good clean threads in the hole the wall thickness isn't that important. It will help you when tapping but it isn't necessarily going to hurt if the wall is pretty thin, 3-4 complete threads is all you really need. NPT threads taper to help the seal. Your biggest issue is going to be of you can get the tap in deep enough to cut a good thread so the fitting will go on. The NPT taps I have the first 7 or 8 threads are basically just to get it started and it doesn't cut to actual size until about half way up the tap. As long as there isn't any obstructions inside the hole for the tap to hit it should work just fine if you do it right.

Make double sure you are tapping straight, there is little room for error and you don't get 2nd chances with tapped holes, they are either right or wrong. A little angle won't hurt but if it isn't good and straight it will not look right and if the wall is thin it could cause sealing issues.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts