mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Putting a new hpa reg on my tank?

strap wrench, green loctite. Sound about right?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

No loctite. You don't need it. You don't even need the strap wrench. Just screw it in as tight as you can by hand. The pressure of it being full will keep the reg on. Don't put any loctite or oil on the reg threads, its just asking for trouble.
ScreamingShiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

really? I was about to go by a strap wrench because all I've been hearing is how dangerous it is to hand tighten it.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Also. Anybody have any idea what I should use for burst disks? Teflon tape ok?
-Vince Lombardi

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
IIRC, recommended torque is around 40 ft/lbs. You can probably get close by hand. Use a strap wrench if you like, but don't go crazy. Don't use anything for the burst disc, it should seal itself.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

He's right on the burst discs. I just replaced one on a Ninja reg with 900+ output. No leaks, no problems.
ScreamingShiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys. Got my tank all fixed up now!
-Vince Lombardi

Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I used an asa to get a little more leverage on the reg and got it on there pretty tight by hand. Maybe shouldn't have done that though... Could ruin the asa threads.
-Vince Lombardi

Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Everyone is right about hand tight. I've traveled a lot with my gear, every time I fly I gotta remove the reg for TSA regulations. It's easier if you don't have to break the loctite every time. The pressure from the hpa will keep it from moving.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistani View Post
Everyone is right about hand tight. I've traveled a lot with my gear, every time I fly I gotta remove the reg for TSA regulations. It's easier if you don't have to break the loctite every time. The pressure from the hpa will keep it from moving.
the real issue is: substances that are not combustible in atmospheric pressure, can become spontaneously combustible under such high pressures as 3000+ psi. pv=nrt.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts