mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

The whole discussion:
Me:
I have a few 3000 PSI regulators on bottles that are going out of hydro. Can I change the high pressure burst disk to the 7.5k and use these regulators on 4500 PSI bottles? Looking over the parts diagram it looks like the internals are all the same.

Rob:

Hypothetically speaking, yes you can. However, we would never recommend doing this. Reason is, if you were to give this bottle to someone to use or fill and they didnt know you put a 4500psi burst disk on a 3000psi reg and the person filling the system sees 7.5k Burst Disk, they may assume its a 4500psi reg and thus filling a 3000psi system with 4500psi of air.
Again, we would never recommend doing this on any air system.

Me:
I do have one more question aside form the burst disk what parts are different between the 4500 and 3000 PSI regulators. It looks like i just got a few set of spare parts that I may be able to use if needed.

Rob:
Nothing, everything is interchangeable. Again, we would not recommend converting a 3000psi reg to a 4500psi reg or vice versa, nor would we ever warranty a Ninja regulator that has been altered this way.

He never said I could do what I wanted to do by just switching the burst disks and also made it clear that they do not recommend doing it, ever.

I will just leave well enough alone and buy new regs for my 4500 bottles when I get them hydrotested.

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
The way that I read this, and I am not saying that everyone should interpret it this way, is that the regs are identical in every way. Due to being aware of safety procedures, they don't recommend using a 3000 reg on a 4500 bottle, even though it can take the added pressure of the extra 1500 PSI just fine, and would just need to have the burst disk replaced to work. Not so much as their equipment could fail, as other people not paying attention properly.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
lew
Fartrell Cluggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
The way that I read this, and I am not saying that everyone should interpret it this way, is that the regs are identical in every way. Due to being aware of safety procedures, they don't recommend using a 3000 reg on a 4500 bottle, even though it can take the added pressure of the extra 1500 PSI just fine, and would just need to have the burst disk replaced to work. Not so much as their equipment could fail, as other people not paying attention properly.
[I realize this post is long dead, but that won't stop me! Found this thread on a Google search.]

So, if the tank is rated for 4500 psi., the regulator is not pressure-specific and can handle 4500 psi, and the proper burst discs are in place, what danger exists if someone is not paying attention? Anyone filling past 4500 psi would pose a threat to anyone using a 4500 psi rated tank, and fill stations only fill to 3000 or 4500 psi, neither of which will hurt the above listed setup.

It seems the problem would be the opposite if the filler were to notice the words on the regulator indicate a 5k burst disc (for 3000 psi use) instead of a 7.5k burst disc (for 4500 psi use).

Half the responses I see here and elsewhere about this subject seem to either be cover-your-***, fear-mongering, acute ignorance, or all of the above. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see why this would not be a sound way of keeping an old regulator in service.
But everyone is still right here waiting"

Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post3004903

Last edited by lew; 08-26-2014 at 10:29 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts