mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Polishing with a dremel (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/209402-polishing-dremel.html)

Hawkeye20 07-28-2012 02:48 AM

Polishing with a dremel

What kind of attachment should I use for polishing aluminum? I've heard of people polishing stuff with a dremel, but I don't know what attachment they use.

Pics would be cool.

PB Weasel 07-28-2012 03:02 AM

Try to find the cotton disks and wheels, and use rouge compound to help the polishing. I polish the internals of all my guns with my Dremel and they work great, nice and smooth on the action, with less resistance in the valve.

should look like this:
http://blueroofdesigns.files.wordpre...ach-felt-2.jpg

Hawkeye20 07-28-2012 03:23 AM

Baaaalls. That's basically the only thing I don't have. Hopefully one of my dremel-owning friends has the attachment I need. I really don't want to buy a whole new attachment kit for a one-time use thing.

martix_agent 07-28-2012 04:01 AM

you should be able to buy just that piece at a hardware store

ta2maki 07-28-2012 04:39 AM

How big is the thing you are trying to polish? Dremel polishing sucks. Most of the time I use fine grit sandpaper, then finish with Mother's. If you have a drill, then a drill buffing attachment is much better than using a dremel.

Buffing Wheel and Compound Set- Craftsman-Tools-Power Tool Accessories-Drill Sharpeners & Attachments

pghp8ntballer 07-28-2012 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a dremel on a PMI-1. The entire marker was hand sanded with 400, then 800, then 1500 grit. Then dremel polished with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish. It shines like a diamond. It took 6-8 hours total though spanning a few evenings.Attachment 33945

Hawkeye20 07-28-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2maki (Post 2425871)
How big is the thing you are trying to polish? Dremel polishing sucks. Most of the time I use fine grit sandpaper, then finish with Mother's. If you have a drill, then a drill buffing attachment is much better than using a dremel.

Buffing Wheel and Compound Set- Craftsman-Tools-Power Tool Accessories-Drill Sharpeners & Attachments

Small stuff. Autococker trigger internals for one thing.

Railgun 07-29-2012 01:42 AM

Agreed, the Dremel bits are simply too small to use so they produce a smooth overall surface. You're far more likely to cut in too deep in one spot and produce a bad wavy surface for an overall finish.

Dremel TV ad's try to make out like it's the only tool you need other than a hammer. But the reality is that it's a highly specialized tool. For what it is good at it is great. But for a lot of things you see folks using a Dremel to do it's pretty much near the worst possible choice. Polishing a marker is one of those "worst choice" scenarios.

You want to use paint stripper then fine and extra fine "wetordry" black silicon dioxide sandpaper in 400, then 1000 then 1500 grit papers used wet. Then polish with automotive "Rubbing compound" followed by automotive "Polishing compound" and if needed use something even finer like Mother's Mag Wheel polish.

Or if the surface is anodized then strip the anodizing with Easy Off oven cleaner or similar proven anodizing strippers then go with the sandpapers and polishes.

Depending on the alloy used by the marker maker you'll "top out" with either a semi dull or mirror like shine to the metal. The alloy used determines the final lustre. You can't make a mirror shine come from a lesser alloy.

ta2maki 07-29-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 (Post 2426324)
Small stuff. Autococker trigger internals for one thing.

You might be ok with that. A Dremel is to spinning tools(drills, grinders, buffers, etc.), like a tooth brush is to brooms. Sweeping your driveway with a tooth brush is no fun.