mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Sly Profit vs Dye i4 vs ???? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/209600-sly-profit-vs-dye-i4-vs.html)

skullcandy1993 07-30-2012 04:56 PM

Sly Profit vs Dye i4 vs ????

Anyone have experience with both masks? I tried them both on at the shop today and they were both pretty comfy so I was wondering if anyone had opinions of why one might be better than the other. Also, if there are other masks that you think might be better than these two feel free to make a suggestion.

EgoPossum 07-30-2012 05:31 PM

I prefer the Dye over the Sly.
The Dye has a smaller profile and it leads to more shots on my jawbone but it breathes alot better then the Profit. When I am at big games/scenarios where I am wearing my mask for hours on end, I prefer a mask that breathes really well over anything else.
I sold off my Profit after a few months. It was nice for reffing but hard game play it was just not that great: really hot and damp. Also working in the shop I have seen a few quality control issues with the Profit (lens misalignment, foam pulling away from the mask, moisture in between the panes). Sly has been good with the issues and really good support for their product.

My personal favorite mask is my trusty Proflex. Nothing breathes like it, even though lens changes are a PITA.
The E-Flex is also an option if you can find it in stock at your local pro-shop. I am waiting patiently for my white one.

Hope that this helps.

storminnorman 07-30-2012 05:37 PM

If you haven't tried the Elfex's yet I would try those first before you make your decision. Just got my white pair today from the shop. I have had the olive drab for 2 weeks now and have tried it on every time I work. They are awesome and the most comfortable mask I have ever worn in the 10 plus years of playing.

storminnorman 07-30-2012 05:44 PM

Plus it comes apart so easy to change lenses, and clean.

skullcandy1993 07-30-2012 07:02 PM

I did try the e-flex. I couldn't stand it. Not comfortable at all.

ewe 07-31-2012 01:17 PM

might also want to consider the cost of replacement lenses. $5- $10 more for the i4 per swap out. i use the i4 and love them and i regularly change my lenses but that is just me and i am fine with the cost. just know it going it.

canuckistani 07-31-2012 01:25 PM

I wear the i4's. I've tried the Sly mask and hated it. The ear muff things are horrible, they muffle sound too much. It feels comfortable for the most part, but the Dye mask is a tighter profile. I've got an average size head for a six foot tall person and the Dye mask fits me fine. I've never taken a shot in the jaw yet and I've been wearing them for over a year.

No Mercy Ever 07-31-2012 01:37 PM

I tried on the DYE I4 when they first came out. Just too small for me. Not that I get hit alot in the head, but when my earlobes and part of my ear opening are out there exposed, as well as all of my jaw and chin, I am just not comfortable at all. I love my Sly's, but I know for some folks, they get too warm, as well as people have an issue with the ear foam. I know that Sly now makes them with a large hole in the ear foam for where your ear opening is, but not everyone likes them.

Basically, if they both fit well enough, you just have to decide if you want less or more mask. Do you want to cover more of your face and ears, or less?