mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacIon View Post
yea i am sorta aiming to a trracer with a 9 oz with a buttplate. would this be good?

i also like the tank coming out the back and not the bottom
It's how I used to have mine set up, but your mask will be bumping the tank when you try to sight in targets.

Also, the way the bottle will be lying against the valve will lead to lots of liquid CO2 getting in the gun, so your velocity will be all over the place.

I once bunkered a guy with a 3.5 ounce backbottle. Without thinking I got him at close range, marker pointing downward. You could see the cloud across the field and it sounded like a rifle going off. He screamed like I'd hit him with a cannonball.

I had it chronoed at 270ish for this reason, but as it was a hot day at that point and considering the circumstances I was still EASILY over 300.

Last edited by TrracerAce; 08-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.
TrracerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Quote:
how well do the trracers shoot and are they air fed out the back?
They shoot as well as your velocity consistency and barrel/paint match. Get both of these down and you'll dot the cracks in the bunkers with frightening ease across the field.

Velocity can be fixed by minimizing the amount of liquid getting to your valve and keeping all your parts lubed. Barrel/paint is only rectified by buying paint that fits. If paint is too small and rolls out, your only option is to bring electical tape with you. Cut a thin strip and put it over the lip of your barrel so the paint is held in place enough that it doesn't roll out, but can still be blown out with lung power.

And yes, they are fed out the back.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Would antisiphoning a tank in the backbottle position help at all?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

so is it worse to have the bottle fed out the back?
tacIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Would antisiphoning a tank in the backbottle position help at all?
Of course.

Me, I just prefer bottomlining and keeping my tank available for my other markers.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
yea i am sorta aiming to a trracer with a 9 oz with a buttplate. would this be good?

i also like the tank coming out the back and not the bottom
If you can score a Tagmaster at around $60 like I did then it's like getting a poorman's Phantom. Nice clean pump stroke when cleaned and lubed and no hammer cocking slots in the side of the body to let grit or paint in to mess things up.

Otherwise they are all about the same. The SL68II has a built in bottom line or semi bottom line setup. You can see how I feel about mine from my avatar... The rest are all about the same other than the names on the side of the grip.

Or if you can find a WGP Ranger for under $100 in decent shape then that's another option. VERY sweet pump but really still just a Nelson. Mind you I modified a Dye barrel to fit mine and that may be part of why I like it so much.

But a Trracer, Maverick (forgot that one the first time through) or Tagmaster or Hornet will be a wonderful intro to the pump world. They are all back bottle so you get your wish there and they all have a round the barrel pump handle.

Now mind you here.... They will ALL require a bit of barrel fiddling to make it so the paint doesn't just roll out. Three fingers of electrical tape strips or of built up paint or nail polish will be needed to ensure that today's super small paint won't just fall through the barrel. Don't miss this part or you'll be wondering if we are all smoking Crack or Paint....
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

i just cant decide if i want a maverick of a trracer. are there any advantages to one that would help me make my mind up?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

Quote:
i just cant decide if i want a maverick of a trracer. are there any advantages to one that would help me make my mind up?

They're the same marker. Trracer guts will fit in a Maverick and vice versa. Hell, my Maverick has the ACI Macerick logo on the side and a Trracer pump handle.

The Maverick is just the second generation of Trracers, so they tend to be newer. Some Mavericks come with adjustable bolts (these are getting rare) to make velocity changes easy, and the feednecks are narrower to fit elbows instead of 10-round tubes.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

"The pump slides nice and smooth but the trigger doesn't click it (maybe because this is the pump gun)"

i was looking to buy this trracer and this is wut he said. is this because the gun is a pump or because its broke?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If there's no air hooked up, a lot of nelson style pumps will not engage the sear when they are pumped. If there is air hooked up and it still doesn't 'click', there's a problem.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts