mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old, but not slow.

Old Spyder bolt upgrades

MCB, I'm in need of your expertise.

I'm hunting for new delrin bolts for a couple of older spyders:
A rear cocking TL+ a friend used as a teenager when he bought it new back in the late 90s. Its still his only gun.
A top cocking TL-R that I bought off PBN for it's rocking trigger frame but ended up throwing a mech frame on it (that I then cut down to a single trigger, go figure).

I'm under the impression they only ever made one variety of rear-cocking bolt, correct?
As for the TL-R, they only made one variety of top cocking bolt for the 'full block' style body, right? Any older top cocking bolt top cocking bolt that doesn't have a handle on it should fit?
I've been looking at these:
Shocktech Spyder Supafly Top Cocking Bolt - White/Black
Shocktech Spyder Supafly Rear Cocking Bolt - White/Red
Will they fit? Also, if y'all have any suggestions, please lay them on me.

In addition to very worn bolts, both guns have the scarring along the top of the upper tube that I hear is common to older Spyders. Is this anything to worry about? Would it eventually make the gun shoot so rough you'd have to replace the body?

Looking forward to getting these babies ripping again.

PS: If someone has a cocking knob rattling around in a parts box they could dump in an envelope, I have a couple bucks I could paypal their way.
reepneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

That rear cocking bolt will work fine with the old TL's. They also made a shorter rear cocking bolt that was for the imagines and the like with the window cut in the back of the upper tubes, which would not work. Actually the Kingman ACS bolts can be found everywhere for $10 to $15 new in all types of varieties. Although, I do have a soft spot for Supafly bolts. That top cocking bolt will work for the TL-R but it may not come with a new cocking knob. The old style rear cocking bolts, like for the TL and TL+ should work in any spyder. You may need to remove the upper tube plug or cut off the top piece if it is attached to the velocity adjuster.

I have owned numerous Spyders and clones but have never seen or heard or a problem with severe scarring in the upper tube. It would only be a concern if you were trying to make a low pressure or very low pressure spyder and using a bolt with orings to try and minimize gas loss. But that would be the only time I can think of.

These bolts rear cocking

universal
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old, but not slow.

Good to know the damage to the upper tube doesn't matter.

You'd recommend the ACS bolts over the Supafly, then? I was hoping they'd have better tolerances, being Shocktech. I actually have an acs bolt for the TL-R that I stopped using it because it gave me lots of blowback and decided to lose my cocking knob.
reepneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I brought them up because they are found easily and cheap. The ACS function works decently enough, but for $5 more, the supafly is a steal. Supafly bolts are great. I have 2 ACS bolts and well, they work well enough. But I have them both in E-spyders that do not have eyes. For a mech spyder, the ACS bolts aren't really necessary. I say go for the Shocktech bolts.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts