mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Reducing Slop between Pump/Barrel

I just received my pps barrel for my sterling bronze. I was told by mike at ap that the stock sterling barrel's od was .901 so I asked pps to put a larger sleeve on the barrel (as they do for phantoms) and have it turned down to .901.

Well, someone made a mistake somewhere because there is waaay more slop between my new pps barrel and the sterling pump (1/8-1/4 of an inch) than there was with the stock barrel. Of course, it's usable - much better than a normal barrel would be on the gun.

Anyhow, any ideas on how to increase the od of the barrel to better fit the pump by 1/4-1/8"? I'll find my calipers and give you the specific increase I need to achieve to match the stock barrel od.

I was thinking trying electrical tape, but I still want the pump stroke to be as smooth as possible and would think electrical tape wouldn't work too well...
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Check the od of the pps barrel. I have a stock sterling barrel and it is 1" so if the pps was made to .901 it should fit great. Measure the hole in your pump also. Some time guys bored out the pump handel to fit a freak back which is alittle bigger.
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

The pps barrel fits fine, there's just a bit more slop in the pump stroke than I'd like... well, it would seem mike screwed up, as the od of my stock sterling barrel is 1" too... of course, it could be a variation between older and newer sterlings, but I am pretty certain my sterling bronze is of the newer generation. so, yea, I'm at a bit of a loss.

All can be made well however by figuring out a way of increasing the od of my pps barrel. How do you go about increasing the od of barrels?

Last edited by toymachine; 09-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

possibly the difference between old sterling threaded and newer spyder threaded barrels? I've heard that the id on the newer pump handles is slightly larger than the old ones. Unfortunately I can't really confirm that for sure.

For Sale: Q-Bow http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post3163559

Spyder: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ml#post3167362

PMI 68 Magnum http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/r...ipped-obo.html

wanted: Sheridan parts for pmi I/pgp: rva, speedfeed, fastchanger, pmi rubber grips, pre-2k pump kit preferably drill for AT
James_Blond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Blond View Post
possibly the difference between old sterling threaded and newer spyder threaded barrels? I've heard that the id on the newer pump handles is slightly larger than the old ones. Unfortunately I can't really confirm that for sure.
I'm almost certain it isn't a variation in older sterling and newer spyder threaded barrels, unless mike mistakenly referenced the od of the older barrels

as mentioned, the stock barrel od on my current gen sterling bronze is in fact 1". Wish I'd had my calipers before so I could just measured myself instead of having to rely on someone else.

so how do I go about increasing the od of my new pps barrel from .901 to something closer (but no over) to 1"? is there some sort of frictionless tape?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
can you have a delrin sleeve made and pressed/slid onto the OD of the barrel to fill the difference?

or press it into the pump handle....
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

that is, I think, probably one of the best possible solutions. personally, I don't have the know-how or the equipment available

was hoping to find an easy, more every-day-practical solution, although it probably won't achieve the results of such a sleeve
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Rather than winding tape around the barrel lay it in strips lengthwise along the barrel under the pump handle. It would probably be less likely to catch on the pump handle when you pull it back. But, tape is tape and will probably start peeling with time anyways.

edit: sleeve the pump handle. why wasn't that the first thing in my head?
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
that is, I think, probably one of the best possible solutions. personally, I don't have the know-how or the equipment available

was hoping to find an easy, more every-day-practical solution, although it probably won't achieve the results of such a sleeve
Ask one of mcb's airsmiths
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
.901 to 1.00 sleeve. That is .0495 wall aprox..... a little too thin to machine out of delrin unless your running very very sharp tools and a crazy fast feed rate/spindle speed.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts