mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Best FSR Barrels, Barrel Lengths and Bores?

These days, I've been dreaming of getting my coworker back for being a prick by getting laid on his desk at work and, more to the point of this thread, a twist lock bolt action manually loaded First Strike Round Sheridan paintball rifle! Questions:

What is a good or ideal barrel to get to use in exclusive conjunction with First Strike Rounds? Straight, spiraled or non-rifled?

In terms of A/C threaded barrels, what are the best options?

In terms of Bore, is under-boring worthwhile when using FSRs? I see 0.683 and 0.684 bores on barrels specifically designed or marketed for FSRs, but am wondering if 0.680 will cause problems given the FSR's design or cause balls to break. Are there a any/significant drops in FSR performance when a barrel is too small or too large?

I generally don't use any barrel longer than 12", more often with 8-10" barrels than 12". Does the length of the barrel matter when it comes to FSR in a way that it might not when using traditional spherical paintballs? And what about venting?

Behind all of this is to get my cousin a PPS twist lock bolt action, wood stocked, 12g powered rifle for his birthday. Given the "sniper"/rifle concept, my familiarity with Typhoons and other PPS Sheridan based guns, it would be nice to get him a fixed barrel setup (14", not including muzzle break, double spiral ported). But if I do that I want him to be able to use FSR on a consistent basis and thus need to know their bore info. Would a 0.680 bore work well for FSR?

If 0.680 smooth bore brass barrel (without wedgits or detent, as FSR will be loaded one at a time by hand) isn't a good idea for using FSRs, I'm going to instead look into getting a rifle setup with a removable A/C threaded barrel.

I have very little experience with putting together markers specifically geared towards FSRs, so all advice and feedback is much appreciated! I searched around on these topics, but got varied/vague info, so here I am!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

There's no hard evidence as of yet to ideal length or twist type if you get rifled barrel. But general consensus is if you get a rifled barrel 12-14inxh is fine at a bore of. 683 to. 685.either smooth or rifled but providing your marker can keep up with the drag imparted by a rifled barrel than rifling is the way to go. Mind you this is all user opinion so far and there's no hard evidence. Or at least none that's been made public
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

For a cocker type. Look Into getting the empire trracer. It comes with a first strike ready hand load breach. And a. 685 stock smooth barrel i believe. And a lot of guys say they are easy to drop into wood stocks and what not. It's also a cheap gun. For a rifled barrel for it some folks are saying the hammerhead barrels arnt bad for a cocker thread option. I have my own opinions on that barrel but that's just MO
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 09-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Yea, I'm looking into the hammerhead line. I've actually got a couple trracers (both empire and pmi), although I've never used FSR on it. I have little interest in converting it into a rifle stock either, but am going to be getting something for my cousin's birthday made at pps. Thanks for your feedback! I understand it's all speculation at this point in the game, but I'd still like to hear what folks think and their experience, as I pointed out I've little experience with FSR.

Anyone know what kind of barrel comes with the CCM rifle? Or what owners have found to work best for them?
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
All HH barrels are a 688 id althrough one has been made that is 684.Ebay is a great source for getting one cheap.Usually there are sets on there that have tipmann fins.Just sell them off and get a cocker threaded fin.I have gotten 2 for 40 and 20 dollars thats alot cheaper than 95 + shipping.
HAMMERHEAD RIFLE BARREL AUTOCOCKER THREAD .686 EGO DM'S PROTO BOB LONG MACDEV | eBay
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
DSL is new here

My data is old, but the last I checked, rifled barrels and under boring would rip the fins off the rounds. Unless they've changed them in the least few months I would guess this holds true.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I thought there were plenty of people using the rifled barrels?

IMO, the best system would pre-spin the FSR before firing. It would never work on a real firearm, but on a paintball gun it would allow use of a smoothbore barrel, without putting stress on the rounds or causing fouling over time.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

.683 isn't under boring the round is. 685 its just enough to ensure good grip. Yes russc I've had my suspicion about that same thing
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I thought there were plenty of people using the rifled barrels?

IMO, the best system would pre-spin the FSR before firing. It would never work on a real firearm, but on a paintball gun it would allow use of a smoothbore barrel, without putting stress on the rounds or causing fouling over time.
Build it. If it works I'll buy one =p
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've also heard the idea of progressive rifling tossed around a bit. I'd like to try that too
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts