mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Top barrel choice?

I have been a found Freak system shooter for many years now. An tried a few other along the way too. Have kinda been out of the sport for a few years now. Was wondering if there was a system better than the Freak or Kaner? Better enough to make it worth making the investment into. I mostly woods ball, rec ball, an some big games now an than. Being used with a xmag cocker thread. Thank all for the help.
shawnhaskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Buy a deadly wind fibur and you can still use your freak inserts. It's insane having something lightweight on the end of your marker and it makes a huge difference. Also, my dealdywind barrel shoot really well and you can use a swab in it.

edit: awww i got beat!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
Buy a deadly wind fibur and you can still use your freak inserts. It's insane having something lightweight on the end of your marker and it makes a huge difference. Also, my dealdywind barrel shoot really well and you can use a swab in it.

edit: awww i got beat!
hehe.

I bought one when they first came out and have shot countless cases through it and taken some core samples as well, still looks new.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think your freak will handle whatever you need. Unless you are super concerned about a few ounces or grams, a slight efficiency gain, looks, or just have cash burning a hole in your pocket.

For lightweight the guys are probably right on the deadlywind, though I doubt if actually performs better. Perhaps marginally quieter depending on what size/style freak tip you are using.

for better efficiency: Get a .678 and a .684 eigenbarrel. Both for $80 bucks total. 9" control bore and then step slightly larger for last 5 inches. Better efficiency than a freak because of the longer control bore and then the rest of the barrel isn't huge like a freak. Losts of small porting for quietness. Also one piece which can be a plus. Lightweight aluminum.

really, If I were you. I would just buy a smaller freak insert if you need it. They now make them .675. Or you can get a brass one from tymcneer in smaller bores for a bit more $$.

I have a 14" freak junior and run a .679 insert(underboring by about .004-5) and it shoots darts with good paint in my cocker.

I currently have a .678 eigenbarrel being milled to fit my blazer.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
hehe.

I bought one when they first came out and have shot countless cases through it and taken some core samples as well, still looks new.
I've taken several hard dives as well. the first few times i was worried it may break, but i'm not concerned at all, anymore.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

go with whatever works for you. i've seen $20 barrels out shot $120 barrels. 2 piece shot darts over 1 piece, then the same paint, same barrel different day, the one piece is better. i've had my freak shoot like crap, but my Dye 1 piece freak'd shoot darts. there is no rhyme, no reason.

try something different, try something that you want. there is no ONE best barrel, just like there is no ONE best gun. so go with what works for you and what you like. opinions are like barrels and there are plenty of "barrels" out there on the market.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like I ll just be happy than with my freak an its extended bore kit. I figured there wasn't really anything that much greater an spending cash for no reason is like going to the field an just sitting on the bench all day watching. Totally sucks. Thank much guys an gals if we have any joining us.
shawnhaskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

lapco
Cocker Accushot 3 Barrel Kit 14-Inch Bead Blasted Black
richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

I've been unhappy with a Dye Xcel, and a Stiffi carbon fiber barrel.

I've been extremely happy with my FLASC kit, a Lapco Bigshot I used to own, some unknown twistlock, and a stock Tac One barrel (2-piece 12" J&J).

I'd like to try a Deadlywind Fibur with freak inserts though. It's on the future to-do list.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts