mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
The I-fit kits have a generous lead-in chamfer that keeps the bolt (stock or MRT) from catching even with smaller sizes. The trade-off is they don't have the length of a Freak insert, so efficiency may be somewhat reduced compared to what you could get with a Freak.
So instead of turning down the bolt tip, do you think there's a way to include this kind of feature on a freak-bored stock TPX barrel, by putting a chamfer on the breech end and setting the freak bore back toward the muzzle a little bit?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

That would probably work, but you do have to worry about the lip of the insert itself catching the ball and possibly causing a break. I actually did chuck a couple of my inserts up in the lathe and put as much of a chamfer into them as I could using a file and sandpaper and it seems to be working so far on my TPX with MRT. Not for the feint of heart though...
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

I meant, put the chamfer on the breech end of the barrel itself, and just set the insert into the barrel a little bit further, to mimic what the iFit does. Does anyone have a pic of the breech end of a TPX iFit adapter? Maybe SSC could do it?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I meant, put the chamfer on the breech end of the barrel itself, and just set the insert into the barrel a little bit further, to mimic what the iFit does. Does anyone have a pic of the breech end of a TPX iFit adapter? Maybe SSC could do it?
I wouldn't advise it, there's nothing keeping the insert in the barrel if the bolt pulls it back or you tip the gun back.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Yes, but since a freak-bored TPX barrel has the insert installed from the breech end, that would still leave a lip where the barrel chamfer transfers to the Freak insert. There really wouldn't be any way around it outside of cutting the tip of the barrel off and boring from the front, then threading both sides to screw together, like what Stanchy did with his T8 freak bores.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

I just installed my TechT bolt in my TiPX tonight. We'll see how she does tomorrow.
Hammer7
Venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

Went great today!

I had to chrono down a bit after the lighter bolt install. Observably easier on the paintballs, only broke 1 today (average/day= 3 with stock bolt), and I fired more than normal to test out the bolt.

Great upgrade.
Hammer7
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Good to know. How was your efficiency? Any other changes noticed?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Paintball Hunter

didn't think to check efficiency, I will next time around. I am used to switching co2 after 2 mags (w/stock bolt), and that's what I was doing yesterday out of habit. being as I had to chrono down, that itself means efficiency is better... but I'll get a better shot count w/ TechT bolt next time.
Hammer7
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

I understand the force of habit, I was just curious if you noticed while playing. I know the Techt bolt does increase efficiency but was curious to your numbers as compared to their released numbers.

Mine currently gets four mags, 28 shots usable shots, to one 12 gram. The only mod done is the stock barrel has been freak bored and my insert was the blue insert. I think that is the .685 size? I'll check and report back.

Scratch that, it was the .689 size. Some of the paint rolled through but most was size appropriately for the insert.

Last edited by Phoenix01; 11-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Phoenix01 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts