mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
All this talk makes me want to get my ICD thunder cat up and ticking, course I would need to occasionally play semi first.

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

I love MCB...

Hmm... Probably the Inferno range. I scoff at Tippmann reliability, Sterlings are just made so much better.
T-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Surprised no on has mentioned the Viper M1 yet. Uses the slightly primitive F1 design, but man did they crank the build quality up to 11 on those things. Probably more work went into the valve retention screw on those than an entire BE Avenger.

The ICD blowbacks are of course another favorite of mine, so different than anything else out there. I wish ICD had used that valve and bolt layout in their electros.

And the Golden Eagle was on of my Unicorns. Took forever to catch that elusive beast. In the great paintball dictionary if you look up "overbuilt" you'll find a picture of a GE.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #54 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I like my Tippmann FA. Built a little better than today's Tippmanns and oh so much fun to flip that little switch and go to town. They can be finicky but they are so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #55 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

This thread should be labeled "my favorite blowback", not "the best blowback".

The "best" is open to interpretation: best built? Most efficient? Most reliable? Lightest? Widest selection of aftermarket support?

The VM-68 was probably one of the most durable ever made. But it was also extremely heavy, had an oddball front-mount tank and was horribly inefficient.

The Spyder was light, efficient, fast, and brought a decent, mass-produced marker to a much wider audience. It was also unreliable, tended to chop paint thanks to it's cookie-cutter bolt face, and generally required cutting or replacing springs to properly chrony.

The Stingray was the first sub-$200 semiauto, and one of the first to be mass-marketed through the big box stores. It was also reasonably reliable, easy to fix, and lightweight. It was also cheap plastic, had no way to mount a bottomline or vertical expansion chamber, and had a horrible stock barrel.

The Alley Cat/Thunder Cat was very well made, had excellent adjustability, and was very compact. It was also a pain to dismantle for cleaning, could be touchy about velocity/recock settings, and took a never-used-anywhere-else oddball barrel thread which limited your options to the stock barrel or perhaps a Freak back- if you could find one.

The Illustrators were well made, quite reliable, light and fast. They were also difficult to clean (you needed a special tool to remove the bolt) had no vertical ASA option, and occasionally the glued-in feed necks would fall out.

Pro-Ams and Pro-Lites were extremely durable, very reliable, and at least adequately gas-efficient. But they were also fairly heavy (Pro-Ams especially) and somewhat bulky, again limited to back-bottle only, and had a trigger pull of an Arrow staplegun- worse, because of the air line, a 2-finger trigger wasn't possible.

Carbines were lighter, faster, more gas-efficient and just as reliable. But early models had wear-prone O-rings on the valve and not much improvement on the trigger pull.

The Golden Eagle was reliable as an anvil, but was roughly eight and a half feet long, got six shots per 20-ounce, and weighed as much as a small car.

Objectively, the "best" would likely have to be the Model 98. It's not unacceptably heavy, fairly air efficient, extremely reliable, and has a huge array of aftermarket accessories available. It's also been around for over 14 years with minimal updating, the trigger pull is acceptable, the velocity adjuster has plenty of range (generally speaking) and it has a nice, beefy barrel thread that both removes quickly and is virtually impossible to strip out.

But even still, it's fairly bulky, the mandatory front grip is kind of goofy, and it's difficult to open up for cleaning.

My personal fave? Probably the Carbine. Probably because I have three, and I used to trick 'em out a lot.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #56 (permalink)
Gun Designer

Im partial to Spyders I grew up playing with a Victor 4 and never had any issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #57 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Well... Doc has spoken...

If I had called the thread "Favorite Blowback" it would have had "no fire, no energy, no nothing!" You just can't argue "what is your favorite", but when you ask "What is the best"... argument city!

AND... Doc was mistaken - BE did sell a Bottomline adapter for the stingray (and tigershark). But yes... Stingrays had dreadful barrels - mine had a SP barrel (did you know they invented paintball gun barrels - sorry, had to do that) a power feed, and was the reason I bought a motorized hopper! I even filed the hammer and shimmed the trigger to get a very short, light trigger pull, and polished all the internals. I did all the mods in an aircraft hangar for a small airline where I worked. It was still a six-foot-long gas-hog, but a deadly one. Whoa... I digressed.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #58 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
BE did sell a Bottomline adapter for the stingray (and tigershark).
Yup, I bought 2 back in the day.

You can still buy them:

Bottom Line Mounting Kit for Brass Eagle Stingray

It's a poor design, though.

Jaccen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
and took a never-used-anywhere-else oddball barrel thread which limited your options to the stock barrel or perhaps a Freak back- if you could find one.

Doc.
Hah! Now I know what to do with my stock cat barrel, freak bore!

I hope it's thick enough!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #60 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
The Alley Cat/Thunder Cat ... took a never-used-anywhere-else oddball barrel thread which limited your options to the stock barrel or perhaps a Freak back- if you could find one.
I know - I really wish they had gone with 'Cocker threads from the git-go. That being said - I have an Empire barrel kit (which is really nice) and a pair of PMI barrels (which are pretty nice) in ICD thread - so I'm good to go. Besides, the stock barrel was "not so bad".

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts