mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Best Blowback ever?

Since I felt light lighting the fuse... What do you'se guys think is the best blowback paintball gun ever?

My vote: ICD 'Cats (I've used Tippmanns, Spyders (and clones), Mokal Mirage, PMI-III/VM-68, even an F-"something" Illustrator and prefer the ICD's)

Runner up: Brass Eagle Stingray - ONLY because it is fun to tinker with...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Top 3

Montneel Z
ICD Cats
Illustrators

In that order.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

ICD cat's hands down. Soooo nice.
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

The big problem I've always had with the ICD guns is no easy way to clean out a jam. The guns need to be depressurized to get the bolt out.

I hate to say it but the lack of a "field stripping" ability keeps it from being "best ever". I was never impressed with the "adjustable recock" either. I always had the impression that it was making up for a flaw in the valve system.

Plus... it had issue with liquid. I liked that they made it to "work with siphons", and even recommended them in the winter. But you had to retune the gun. Just adding a siphon tank, and the gun would likely double-tap, busting a ball in the breech (see above). Likewise, switching from "liquid mode" back to gas, and you were likely to shoot-down, also busting a ball.

For certain it was well machined, and well made. Especially the early Puma guns. The Thundercats seemed a bit cheaper. But they were very expensive and not as suited for tournament play. Seemed to have no market for them. (ie high-end, rec-gun?)

Granted... I'm completely biased. Just giving my 2 cents

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Montneel.

Mine was a great shooter, it was just at the end of a 15 year career and the sear was shot.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

I'm gonna throw out a modern marker, the Kaos-D. Fantastic shooters

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
The big problem I've always had with the ICD guns is no easy way to clean out a jam. The guns need to be depressurized to get the bolt out.

I hate to say it but the lack of a "field stripping" ability keeps it from being "best ever". I was never impressed with the "adjustable recock" either. I always had the impression that it was making up for a flaw in the valve system.

Plus... it had issue with liquid. I liked that they made it to "work with siphons", and even recommended them in the winter. But you had to retune the gun. Just adding a siphon tank, and the gun would likely double-tap, busting a ball in the breech (see above). Likewise, switching from "liquid mode" back to gas, and you were likely to shoot-down, also busting a ball.

For certain it was well machined, and well made. Especially the early Puma guns. The Thundercats seemed a bit cheaper. But they were very expensive and not as suited for tournament play. Seemed to have no market for them. (ie high-end, rec-gun?)

Granted... I'm completely biased. Just giving my 2 cents
Your no feild strip point is very true, but the gun's positive attributes more then make up for it. I've found the valve tuning to be flawless, I've been able to tune my cat to only recock if there was a paintball in the breach, it seldom misfeeds, it's far smoother then any other blow back I've shot, and it's valve system also makes it crazy consistant. If tuned correctly efficency is incredible too.

Just out of cursioty, what gun do you feel is the best blow back?
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Love ICD Cats! One of my favorite all time platforms blowback or otherwise.

Tippmann's and Spyders are what they are.
PMI-3/VM-68 was my first gun. Heavy, unbalanced, and completely satisfying to shoot all the same.
The Mirage just never did anything for me. Decent gun but not great.
F-blahblahblah Illustrators are nice, fixed one up for my brother for his first gun.
Having never owned a "Z" I can't comment on them. I may just have to correct that.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Spyder SE

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I've heard lots of good bout the Kaos STBBs, also, no votes for the AM Sentinels? Apparently they were outstanding.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts