mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Negative

PPS 12 Gram Cart Regulator

Has anybody used one? Is it worth dropping the $120 on? What kind of consistency can you get with it over unregulated 12 grams?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

What kind of gun do you plan on using it on? For an autococker or sniper, for instance, I think sweet spotting your gun is the most important aspect to efficiency, whether using 12g or not. With a reg (otherwise only with springs and ivg) sweet spotting an a/c or sniper is much more effective. I just wish it was possible to adjust the output of the CART reg externally, without having to use some pressure tester or whatever with it...

imo? I am really hesitant to spend the 120 on this. maybe, one day, when I setup a t2 for stock class play. but honestly, I'd rather us a hp valve setup on 12g or an inline reg and bucket changer or something else like that. if I have oodles and oodles of money I might not be so hesitant though
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Regulating a Sniper for use with 12 grams can be very effective. However, the execution of the cart stabilizer doesn't really do much for me, I would rather use another regulator and work out a independent 12 gram changer.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't see how you get much benefit from regulating 12 grams without getting into or near "low pressure". If you don't get CO2 out of it's nasty high pressure behavior, you still have use sweetspotting to handle the variations. Once you get down around 300 psi or so, sweetspotting isn't so critical.

To me, that is the sad part of such a nice "drop in" CO2 regulator. You can't just stick it on a marker and expect to get a lot out of it. You at least need to re-spring, if not change porting/power tubes. You pretty much need to make a dedicated build to really profit from regulating 12gs.

I'm sure you can get more stability at medium pressures and with a swanky pistol like a duck or gargoyle, the price is probably workable. If I was shooting FS rounds with a 12g setup, it would be worth it. I just can't see it really elevating a nelspot or such without a good bit of retuning.

That said, the only markers I like on 12gs are regulated. I don't like worrying about my sweetspot relative to the weather, how much gas I need for the paint/bore match, or what the variations will be at the beginning and end of every cartridge. The lower you go on pressure, the less all of that stuff matters. If you get to select your own paint and play near an ocean all of the time it's not a big deal. My paint and weather vary a lot, so I like regulators.

Being PPS, I have no doubt it does what it is supposed to. Regulating 12gs requires some planning on your part.

Last edited by Spider!; 11-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I am no Cocker expert, but I did manage this just by sweetspotting. I believe I could have achieved a higher (consistent velocity) shot count if I fixed the bounce and tuned it more.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

If you want a CART reg for cheap, PM me LOL. My friend used it on his sniper to check it out. It sucked on my phantom though so I'm selling mine.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Negative

What I'm wanting to use it for is shooting First Strikes from a purpose built marker. I've got another marker similar to this in the works: Trracer Rifle (Now with something new)

I'd like to have more consistency, and really what I'm wondering is what the best way to get it from a 12 gram setup. In my next project, I'm using a stock like this:

So, I've got quite a bit of room to put stuff in the back.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

^actually, I was thinking of doing exactly that with a sheridan build walz will be doing for me (knock on wood) come the new year... but I just can't decide whether to reg it or not for 12g, as I plan on buying another (much more expensive) from pps and figure they might be better to figure out how to incorporate a stab into the lower tube or something that just using the whole cart package
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts