mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Etha or save up (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/218584-etha-save-up.html)

pump player 11-14-2012 06:13 PM

Etha or save up

I can either get a planet eclipse etha in a week or save up a little bit more for a reflex rail/etek4lt/dangerous power fusion fx or something else you may recommend. I hate axes and minis so do not say get an axe. Thank you in advance!

Squall409 11-15-2012 01:39 AM

How much are you willing to spend altogether?

canuckistani 11-15-2012 04:13 AM

I really enjoyed the Etha. I play mostly pump, but picked up an Etha cheap enough to flip it and make a few bucks. I played with it for a day, it was great! The consistency was +/-3 over the chrono, the kick or vibration that people complain about is noticeable when you're thinking about it, but in game, you won't notice it. The trigger feels great and is very easy to walk. I would but another one, it's a great marker, especially for the price.

senghing27 11-15-2012 07:05 AM

So you hate axes/minis. Do you even like the reflex rail/etek4lt/dangerous power fusion fx?

It's really a preference and budget call. I always suggest going the used route and buying something a smidge older.

cwest1977 11-15-2012 07:57 AM

I have been using an Etha since before Christmas last year. I love the thing! I have owned both a Proto Rail and an ETEK. You can not go wrong with either one of them. I still have an ETEK but, use the Etha instead. Personal preference from experience, I would stay away from the Dangerous Power stuff. I had two and both had solenoid problems. The good news is they were cheap to replace (under $40 each).

nerdcore 11-16-2012 11:16 AM

If you get the Etha now, you can save that money for other things, like paint/field fees... or non-paintball-related stuff.

But if you wait: between the Etek4 and the FX, go with the Etek4; between the Etek4 and the Reflex, that's personal preference. I don't know if you prefer poppits or spoolies.

I can't really decide whether you should wait or not. It's your money.

Halo 11-18-2012 03:15 AM

If I were in your shoes with your mentioned bias I would pick up the Etha and have a bit of money left over for paint or a barrel etc., but as has been mentioned it is largely a personal preference thing. Try to test or at least hold them all before you make a decision. From the markers/Brands you've mentioned: I've used the Etha for a bit, owned a DP G4 for a bit and currently own a Reflex Rail and Axe. You say you hate the Axe, but in my opinion it it is the only one I'd spend a bit more on due to ease of use and performance. I like the Reflex and it is most definitely a nice marker, but even though it comes with all the bells and whistles I just don't think the cost is justified and really hate the eye pipe system. Just one more consumable that will eventually need to be replaced.

I don't like poppits & don't really have much experience with them so won't comment on them.

LilShank 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

I went through this same decision process, got to shoot an Etha (the frame felt funky in my hands, it felt almost straight up and down) and mess with a Fusion FX (same thing, but felt like it slanted too far forward).

I currently shoot a Reflex because I felt like that was the best balance between the two. While it was on the way I did mess with an Axe and found that I did like the way the frame felt, but I think the UL frame is a little nicer.

mobomelter 11-19-2012 11:49 AM

I bought my Etha just before the summer. I have a chance to play a day with it and I had no problems and was impressed for it's price. You can pick one up used for right around 300 (sometimes less but they are usually badly taken care of).

That being said I'm selling mine now as I played a day with my Autococker and preferred the old school mechanical.