mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Velocity Adjusting

I have a quick question regarding the rules regarding velocity adjusting on the field. What rules exist to prevent players from changing their velocity?

I know they restrict carrying tools to change the velocity, but many markers have velocity adjusters that do not require tools. Any marker that has an RVA can be changed.

An example of this is the markers made by Ariakon. Both the ACP and the SIM-4 both have velocity adjusters that can be changed VERY easily.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
you are not supposed to be using any equipment that enables tool-less changes.
almost all markers have lockdown set screws and whatnot.
I agree markers exist and options exist to make tool free pressure changes or hammer spring loads changed easily (dial a welt).

The last layer is honor, which is sometimes hard to find.

you're only 'supposed'; to touch velocity adjustment at chrono.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I have seen a few fields that once you have been crono checked they will put a dab of wood glue on the adjuster. Its pretty easy to cleanout once you get home and the refs can easily see if any adjustments have been made.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneythief View Post
I have seen a few fields that once you have been crono checked they will put a dab of wood glue on the adjuster. Its pretty easy to cleanout once you get home and the refs can easily see if any adjustments have been made.

-Jake
Yeah they do it at my local woods field (APG). People get all worked up over 'They put glue on my gat' but it just comes right out with a toothpick when it's dried. I think it's a good idea. They use a different color glue each time so you can't cheat and do it at home.

I've been to fields where they assume you've chronoed, or just punch your wrist band. Nothing to keep you from cranking it up after that. I like the idea of on-field random spot checks (which I used to get all the time when I used my Rainmaker).

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I am a fan of spot checks and to be honest I have not found that honor is really a good preventative measure given the proclivity of the human animal to rationaize everything as "okay". Human-beings are innately cheaters if they think they can get away with it. Bring up a subject like this at a paintball game and you are going to get some turkey that thinks its still funny to say "it ain't cheating if you're not caught!" or "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying!" Pretty lame.
Vector Serial #00733

It's just a flesh wound...!
Kevin Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to MrBig

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Hell Survivors in MI puts a sticker on your gun once they have checked the velocity, but then they leave it up to you to continue to check your velocity throughout the day. I don't think I would like the glue idea. Only because when I use co2, my gun changes so much from a warm tank to a new cold tank. I have gone out not being able to get my gun past 250fps, but when I come back I check it out at the chrono and I am shooting aver 300fsp.

During "big games" they do multiple spot checks. I like that idea. It keeps everyone honest. If you are above a certain number you are sent back to the dead zone. If you are only slightly above, they typically allow you to dial it down and continue play.

Paintball is still a sport of honor. Unfortunately, paintballers are not all men (women) of honor.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was at a field and a kid was bragging about how he was intentionally shooting hot. I gave out to him, stating that if he didn't turn it down, I'd tell the ref... and if I caught him in my sights, I'd have no qualms about overshooting him with my minimag. He just chuckled at me and went on his way. I let the refs know what had happened and they yanked him for the day... He's lucky for that, because his goose would've been cooked... I'd have pointed him out to our whole team, and he'd not have been able to leave the staging area without 10 welts.... How is 290FPS not fast enough???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts