mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Best Multi-tool? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/218910-best-multi-tool.html)

Crimson Death 11-18-2012 06:36 PM

Best Multi-tool?

Been looking to pick one up forever but I just can't decide which one I want.

Ideally I'd like one that has allen key options so I can use it for paintball as well.

Born4Evil 11-18-2012 08:01 PM

Leatherman Charge AL and a bit kit (for the extra hex sizes).

Done.

:)

BIGNUGLY 11-18-2012 08:05 PM

Go with Gerber, much better quality than many and much more comfortable to use. I've owned my first one for close to 20 years now and it's still a workhorse. I picked up the diesel version a few years ago and it's just as good. Gerber has a couple different Bitkits you can choose from.

ApoC_101 11-19-2012 12:23 PM

I'm gonna go with the Leatherman Skeletool... it's smaller and lighter than other multitools, and is extremely good at what it does. It has only the multi-tool features I *really* want, including excellent pliers with round coarse and straight fine gripping as well as wire cutting, an excellent high quality knife, two sizes of both flat head and philips drivers, bottle opening functionality, and a latch to attach it to your gear for easy access. The steel is excellent throughout (not just stainless), and working edges including the drivers are hardened... very reliable and practical multi-tool.

If you want allen keys: buy some allen keys. Paintball guns often require reaching hex screws at weird angles etc, only a decent hex key set (preferably ball end style) will do the job properly.

The Inflicted 11-19-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 2538223)
I'm gonna go with the Leatherman Skeletool... it's smaller and lighter than other multitools, and is extremely good at what it does.

I'm also a fan of the Skeletool.
Been carrying mine every day for about 4 years. It's slightly smaller and only slightly heavier than the Spyderco Endura I used to carry and has proved to be much more useful.

I'm actually on my second one- I had the carbon fiber version originally but lost it and bought the cheaper all-stainless version as a replacement. If there's any weight difference I haven't noticed it.

ApoC_101 11-19-2012 01:19 PM

^hah thats funny! I also started with the CF one (which is perfect), but left it in the wrong bag on a flight back from New York and it was "retrieved" by the guy at the scanner... Melissa bought me a new one for a birthday gift this year, it's the stainless one which is a good thing, since it's harder to lose in the grass and easier to spot in my backpack pocket ;)

Spider! 11-19-2012 01:54 PM

I rank keeping it with me higher than the number of features. A blade in the hand is worth a lot stuff lost down the road somewhere. :rolleyes:

If it's not always in my pocket, then I prefer a small toolkit. I carry a Juice most of the time.

I have one of the early Gerbers that slide out and bite the crap out of your hand. With the bits it needed the belt holster, but I only used that for planned work and was carrying tool bags anyway. I think it is in my truck.

No Mercy Ever 11-19-2012 02:58 PM

I have a Leatherman, and some small one, but I could not tell you the model of either. They are great, and I don't take them on the field. I have a separate set of Allen keys for that purpose, and use the Leatherman for whatever I need to, since it has the screwdrivers, knife blade, file, and so on.

Nightstar 11-19-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 2538223)
If you want allen keys: buy some allen keys. Paintball guns often require reaching hex screws at weird angles etc, only a decent hex key set (preferably ball end style) will do the job properly.

^

This.
I take my plastic framed Chesco SAE 9 key folding set that fits perfectly in a condor pistol mag carrier. I use it along with a loose 3/32 for all routine maintenance on my Tiberius markers and everything else it's metric counterpart won't handle.

The skeletool would make a nice addition to my lightweight toolkit. There goes more $ :/

HP_Lovecraft 11-19-2012 04:26 PM

Like others have said, depends on the application. But I can't imagine getting by in life without my letherman wave. I love that I can get to the blades with one hand, as well as the plyers. Its a great tool for those moments when you simply dont have a free hand.

One nice thing is that the tools are in the inside, not the outside, so it can't close on your hand if using the drivers.