mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Best Multi-tool?

Been looking to pick one up forever but I just can't decide which one I want.

Ideally I'd like one that has allen key options so I can use it for paintball as well.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Leatherman Charge AL and a bit kit (for the extra hex sizes).

Done.

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
My Sarcasm is Legendary

Go with Gerber, much better quality than many and much more comfortable to use. I've owned my first one for close to 20 years now and it's still a workhorse. I picked up the diesel version a few years ago and it's just as good. Gerber has a couple different Bitkits you can choose from.

MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

PBN Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=507494

A5OG: http://www.a5og.net/feedback-b-s-t/3...-feedback.html

I play paintball in a Fatsuit.
BIGNUGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I'm gonna go with the Leatherman Skeletool... it's smaller and lighter than other multitools, and is extremely good at what it does. It has only the multi-tool features I *really* want, including excellent pliers with round coarse and straight fine gripping as well as wire cutting, an excellent high quality knife, two sizes of both flat head and philips drivers, bottle opening functionality, and a latch to attach it to your gear for easy access. The steel is excellent throughout (not just stainless), and working edges including the drivers are hardened... very reliable and practical multi-tool.

If you want allen keys: buy some allen keys. Paintball guns often require reaching hex screws at weird angles etc, only a decent hex key set (preferably ball end style) will do the job properly.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'm gonna go with the Leatherman Skeletool... it's smaller and lighter than other multitools, and is extremely good at what it does.
I'm also a fan of the Skeletool.
Been carrying mine every day for about 4 years. It's slightly smaller and only slightly heavier than the Spyderco Endura I used to carry and has proved to be much more useful.

I'm actually on my second one- I had the carbon fiber version originally but lost it and bought the cheaper all-stainless version as a replacement. If there's any weight difference I haven't noticed it.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

^hah thats funny! I also started with the CF one (which is perfect), but left it in the wrong bag on a flight back from New York and it was "retrieved" by the guy at the scanner... Melissa bought me a new one for a birthday gift this year, it's the stainless one which is a good thing, since it's harder to lose in the grass and easier to spot in my backpack pocket
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I rank keeping it with me higher than the number of features. A blade in the hand is worth a lot stuff lost down the road somewhere.

If it's not always in my pocket, then I prefer a small toolkit. I carry a Juice most of the time.

I have one of the early Gerbers that slide out and bite the crap out of your hand. With the bits it needed the belt holster, but I only used that for planned work and was carrying tool bags anyway. I think it is in my truck.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I have a Leatherman, and some small one, but I could not tell you the model of either. They are great, and I don't take them on the field. I have a separate set of Allen keys for that purpose, and use the Leatherman for whatever I need to, since it has the screwdrivers, knife blade, file, and so on.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
If you want allen keys: buy some allen keys. Paintball guns often require reaching hex screws at weird angles etc, only a decent hex key set (preferably ball end style) will do the job properly.
^

This.
I take my plastic framed Chesco SAE 9 key folding set that fits perfectly in a condor pistol mag carrier. I use it along with a loose 3/32 for all routine maintenance on my Tiberius markers and everything else it's metric counterpart won't handle.

The skeletool would make a nice addition to my lightweight toolkit. There goes more $ :/
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Like others have said, depends on the application. But I can't imagine getting by in life without my letherman wave. I love that I can get to the blades with one hand, as well as the plyers. Its a great tool for those moments when you simply dont have a free hand.

One nice thing is that the tools are in the inside, not the outside, so it can't close on your hand if using the drivers.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts