mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   More flow from steel braided line? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/220749-more-flow-steel-braided-line.html)

matteekay 12-10-2012 02:36 AM

More flow from steel braided line?

Quick question folks: does steel braided line provide more air/CO2 than macroline? I asked because I recently installed braided on a Sheridan-based marker (where velocity is totally derived from the amount of charge that makes it into the breech) that used to have macro and noticed a considerable spike in velocity.

The control for the test isn't perfect as it's possible my tanks were cooler when I last used it with macro but it was a hotter day then so I figured this was a possibility.

ta2maki 12-10-2012 11:01 AM

I know that steel braided lines come in different ID's. I have some that are noticeably fatter on the inside than others.

Schmitti 12-10-2012 11:17 AM

Just like macroline.. some macro line is smaller id (thick walled) that others (thin wall lower operating pressure). Most braided steel hose I've seen is the thick walled higher pressure stuff.

E

matteekay 12-10-2012 11:22 AM

Hmm, intriguing. I'll have to look into something with a tighter ID or shortening the hammer spring; still worth it to not have to deal with leaky macroline.

Schmitti 12-10-2012 11:26 AM

I always preferred stainless braided over macro, but if you can get good fittings for macro and are dealing with a non standard oddball length that you can't get in braided, then macro is kind of the only way to go.

E

matteekay 12-10-2012 11:39 AM

Yeah, exactly. Thankfully an 8" fit perfectly. This is on the WALZ pirate where both fittings face forward about 3-4" apart vertically so the macro always had a tendency to pull downward at the upper fitting:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...109_154422.jpg

You could run longer macro but then it interferes with the pump. This solution is much better, I just have to compensate for the added flow now (couldn't get it under 320 when it used to be right at 280 with the RVA all the way out).

Schmitti 12-10-2012 11:55 AM

The real benefit of Macro is the ability to take it apart repeatedly and easily. Stainless you can't (threads) unless you put a QD in the system. If you can add a QD (male and female add about an inch in length) along with the Stainless I think it would be a benefit for you and would add to the overall bomb-proofness of the gun.

E

Spider! 12-10-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2maki (Post 2558270)
I know that steel braided lines come in different ID's. I have some that are noticeably fatter on the inside than others.

Same with macro. I came across a piece that looked like a 3/32 ID. Then there's the low pressure stuff that is thin walled.

doh, got distracted, with work of all things.

matteekay 12-10-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmitti (Post 2558345)
The real benefit of Macro is the ability to take it apart repeatedly and easily. Stainless you can't (threads) unless you put a QD in the system. If you can add a QD (male and female add about an inch in length) along with the Stainless I think it would be a benefit for you and would add to the overall bomb-proofness of the gun.

E

Agreed. I installed it with a QD in the upper fitting first but it made the line too long and interfered with the pump. I reinstalled it without it so I could get back out (did I mention these repairs were at the field?) but I might add it to the lower one.

The good thing is the line is long enough to slide the ASA off with the hose still connected so the gun can still be fully broken down.

Deuce 12-10-2012 12:31 PM

I cut through some braided line once and internally it was the same as Microline, but the wall of the tubing was thicker so I assume rated to higher pressures.