mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
More flow from steel braided line?

Quick question folks: does steel braided line provide more air/CO2 than macroline? I asked because I recently installed braided on a Sheridan-based marker (where velocity is totally derived from the amount of charge that makes it into the breech) that used to have macro and noticed a considerable spike in velocity.

The control for the test isn't perfect as it's possible my tanks were cooler when I last used it with macro but it was a hotter day then so I figured this was a possibility.
matteekay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I know that steel braided lines come in different ID's. I have some that are noticeably fatter on the inside than others.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Just like macroline.. some macro line is smaller id (thick walled) that others (thin wall lower operating pressure). Most braided steel hose I've seen is the thick walled higher pressure stuff.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Hmm, intriguing. I'll have to look into something with a tighter ID or shortening the hammer spring; still worth it to not have to deal with leaky macroline.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I always preferred stainless braided over macro, but if you can get good fittings for macro and are dealing with a non standard oddball length that you can't get in braided, then macro is kind of the only way to go.

E
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Yeah, exactly. Thankfully an 8" fit perfectly. This is on the WALZ pirate where both fittings face forward about 3-4" apart vertically so the macro always had a tendency to pull downward at the upper fitting:

You could run longer macro but then it interferes with the pump. This solution is much better, I just have to compensate for the added flow now (couldn't get it under 320 when it used to be right at 280 with the RVA all the way out).
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

The real benefit of Macro is the ability to take it apart repeatedly and easily. Stainless you can't (threads) unless you put a QD in the system. If you can add a QD (male and female add about an inch in length) along with the Stainless I think it would be a benefit for you and would add to the overall bomb-proofness of the gun.

E
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I know that steel braided lines come in different ID's. I have some that are noticeably fatter on the inside than others.
Same with macro. I came across a piece that looked like a 3/32 ID. Then there's the low pressure stuff that is thin walled.

doh, got distracted, with work of all things.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
5 Past Hammer 7ime

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
The real benefit of Macro is the ability to take it apart repeatedly and easily. Stainless you can't (threads) unless you put a QD in the system. If you can add a QD (male and female add about an inch in length) along with the Stainless I think it would be a benefit for you and would add to the overall bomb-proofness of the gun.

E
Agreed. I installed it with a QD in the upper fitting first but it made the line too long and interfered with the pump. I reinstalled it without it so I could get back out (did I mention these repairs were at the field?) but I might add it to the lower one.

The good thing is the line is long enough to slide the ASA off with the hose still connected so the gun can still be fully broken down.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I cut through some braided line once and internally it was the same as Microline, but the wall of the tubing was thicker so I assume rated to higher pressures.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts