mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Which chrono to buy? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/220783-chrono-buy.html)

DSA 12-10-2012 01:37 PM

Which chrono to buy?

I like the Virtue Clock but have heard little feedback. What are your thoughts?

DAVID(GEN) 12-10-2012 01:57 PM

I have one of the little yellow ones and it works fine as far as I can tell but if I had the money I'd love to get a Virtue Clock. I haven't heard about any problems with them and I'd pretty sure they use them at NPPL and PSP so I'm pretty sure they are just fine.

Deuce 12-10-2012 02:00 PM

I found my yellow handheld to be fairly inaccurate. Now I use an older Big Red field chrono. It's more cumbersome, but it's spot on. Some of the newer ones by the same comany are much more compact and offer some desireable features but they're pretty expensive.

heinous 12-10-2012 02:13 PM

second the big red chrono.

saw a yellow one too Tough Chrono

Deuce 12-10-2012 02:16 PM

I don't remember offhand but I think it's the X Radar chronos that are made by the company that made the Big Red. They are nice little chronos but they're don't come cheap.

I only looked at the Virtue one once, saw the price, and ran away.

forstgump 12-10-2012 02:18 PM

I have a X-Radar and it matched the Big Red Chrono's read out at my fied. :)

uv_halo 12-10-2012 03:47 PM

I've used several hand held brands / models:

Little Yellow RadarChron
+ Compact
+/- Manual reset between each shot
- Two-digit display
X-Radar Paintball Chrono
+ BPS
- no confirmation of detection (in other words, how do you know if you got the exact same speed, or it's still showing the previous shot)?
Lo
Virtue Clock
+ Audio confirmation of shot detection (a must if you think you're marker is +/-1 FPS)
+ BPS and FPS Calculations (average and standard deviation)
+ Tripod Compatible
+ Easiest display to read
- BPS/FPS Calculations only work on ROFs above 1BPS
I'm not sure how other's handle this but, I'd advise against comparing radar based chrono accuracy unless using an optical chrono as a central point of reference. Also be sure to be aware of where you're pointing the chrono's beam (as CJOttowa mentions here).

heinous 12-10-2012 03:56 PM

iirc, my handheld yellow radarchron manual says it has a margin of error of +-2%.

that's +-6 fps for a 300fps reading.

uv_halo 12-10-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2558645)
...Size not a factor? Do you need to chrono more people or you're doing serious testing? The Radarchron ROF takes AA batteries, has a tripod mount and a built in kickstand...

Does the radarchron help the user distinguish between a failed detection and, an identical shot FPS?

I originally bought the Virtue in the hopes of taking advantage of it's calculations but, I found the detection confirmation much more valuable as I note in my more recent chrono strings, I get far fewer identical FPS readings.

super_stanchy 12-10-2012 05:11 PM

im not a fan of the virtue clocks.

at psp last season, some of the chrono stations were big reds, some were clocks
big red's always had me 5-10 fps higher than the clock

the local guys who went to hb and played nppl said the clocks were off 25 to the big reds (they went and played recball on the way home and the big red there was the said they were shootin 270 not 295 the clock said the day before)

for my outlaw practice field...
we have 1 little yellow and 1 of the x radars

little yellow is finiky, they dont like anythin on the backside of them
the xradar is wayyy better, we always press/reslease/press again for each shot, so it has resets and goes blank between shots