mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Alpha... words... WORDS!!! What are we looking at here?
Looks like an RB2 with a 3rd party barrel and a very nice adapter for grip-locating the ASA.

Soo... tell me more about the barrel and how the gun was adapted to make use of it.

I occurs to me that there may be another path. My other pump is a Reb, it's closer to a Bushmaster than a Razorback. I could get a "rough" body from Bacci, and have it cut, milled, and tapped to allow it to fit my Reb, and use AutoCocker barrels. That makes a lot of things really simple, and does not require radical surgery. It would also allow the working part to be less than six inches in length, allowing it to fit in more machines (i.e. more airsmiths out there could do the modification).

Last edited by ironnerd88; 12-13-2012 at 09:11 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
My picture was of one of the first guns I rethreaded.

It happened to be a razorback. The owner, doubledutch on here, put the bottomline adapter on there. I rethreaded It to autococker threads.

I put a carter woosh in there for the photo op. I ended up liking that gun so much that I bought another 3 razorbacks for my personal collection. All rethreaded.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Would it be possible to chop the barrel so the unibody becomes the freak back? Then you could thread the front for whatever you want to use as a front.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Chop the barrel and thread the SOB.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

I still think you could do "Wedgits" in a uni. I asked Craig Palmer and he was worried about cracking the aluminum.
You'd definately need to turn down a 1" O.D. barrel before you tried swaging them in, but I think a Phantom could be done without cracking. Perhaps heating it up before swaging?
Something I think we should try, it would breathe new life into all these old uni's collecting dust.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

The razorback I and II had longer pump handle arms than the Razorback III. That's why you can't to the autococker detent mod. I would suggest picking up another pump handle from bacci and doing the mod. You could also pick up a second unibody from him and cut it for cocker threads. I would suggest getting a long barrel model, so you could freak bore and cocker thread the barrel after you hack it off. The extre length will come in handy since you will loose a couple of inches after threading it.

If you do hack off your original barrel and want to freak bore it or make it into a freak tip, remember that you have to do some precision machining to make the barrel fins line up properly after you screw it in.

My MCB Feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
sethumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

SHOOTIST: Unfortunately that's not how Aluminum rolls. I'm almost positive that the 6061-T6 would crack if swedged for wedgits. If you heat aluminum to the point where it will bend without cracking, it just melts. What would have to happen is that the heat treat would have to be changed to "W", then swedged, then re-heat-treated to T6 (T6 can actually be age-hardened, but it still takes some heat). The result would be a very expensive modification and probably damage to the anodizing. Worse yet, the barrel and body would likely warp.

But I do agree that we should look into a method of "de-roll-outing" these cool old uni-body guns.

SETHUMICH: AH-HAH! Thanks for that info. Since starting this conversation, I have realized that I really like the way the RB3 looks, and don't want to mess that up. I'm going to think long and hard on this one. OH! I figured the fore-end of the barrel could be partially bored out a little to allow it to fit over smaller OD freak tip. Then I would use three set screws to hole it in place. The pump handle would cover the screws and joint, so the gun's clean appearance would not be too badly disturbed.

If someone could work out a small version of the 'cocker detent that was 1: flush-mounted to the outside of the barrel, and 2: could be similarly installed (drill, tap, twist), we might have something.

What I will likely do is get an old nellie body from Bacci and have it cut, milled, and threaded to serve as an adapter on my Reb-line. That will allow that gun to use 'cocker barrels. The Reb-line is an older, more modular gun.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts