mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Who knows about refinishing Electric Guitars?

For some reason I like to refinish wood. Remove the paint or whatever and go from there.

Recently I have picked up a Jackson/Kelly electric Guitar body. Really beat to HELL, but nothing I can't handle.

Total investment is $45 shipped from Calif.

What I need are the back plates or a location for them and also pick ups (dual) nothing expensive. Also looking for a neck. Just locations and advise is really all that is needed if anyone is interested in helping.

Later,
Blackrain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JK blue.jpg (206.0 KB, 88 views)
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Custom bass and guitar bodies and necks

Done
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Or this

la.craigslist.org
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Warmoth guitars has parts like necks custom for projects like yours.

My own personal recommendation is to find another Jackson guitar with all the parts already there and swap out the body, or just fix up the newer one. Resurrecting something like this from the dead can be (usually is) more expensive than buying a complete guitar.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I'd say Ebay for the parts and Warmoth for the neck. If you want to repaint that don't strip it to bare wood. Just do a skim coat of body filler sand that and repaint. Your looking for a Floyd Rose Bridge/tremolo. If you don't want to do it the expensive way, you could fill the whammy bar hole with wood glued and pinned in. Then just use a stock bridge. Same with the pick up. Fill the neck pick up space and run just one at the bridge with just one volume and one tone. Good luck, Feyd................
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

warmoth is good, i like guitarfetish.com because they're cheap but their stuff may not always fit 100%. Nothing a little elbow grease couldn't fix though.

I refinished my guitar, an ESP LTD AX-50 and it turned out pretty sweet. I did strip it down to the bare wood and went from there, which was a lot of work.... I think if you did go all the way, it'd look beautiful with a nice dark brown, grey, or purple stain
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Everyone. Thank you for all the help and links you provided.

My plan is to strip this down to bear wood. I have a design in mind. Been looking at others and guitar painting has advanced

It's been a while since I held an electric guitar in my hands. Maybe I learn to play. I figured if I do learn to play might as well be something I built from the ground up.

Guitar fetish.com is the exact place I'm looking for. If I'm going to blow $500+, might as well just buy brand new. This is not a high end guitar.

If you know me, this project will cost way more then I want it too

Later,
Blackrain
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hey man, I blew a lot of time and money on a $200 guitar, and I love it more than my friend's $700+ guitars.

Thing is you can take any guitar really and make it sound just how you want it through what you do to it. I highly suggest applying clearcoat/primer sparingly, my guitar stock had layer upon layer of clearcoats on it and it dampened the sound ridiculously much, now it's pretty barebones matte black and resonates impeccably for an axe in this price bracket.

Almost all my parts were purchased from guitarfetish and I'm incredibly satisfied
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Guitar fetish has almost everything I need except for the neck. I want this guitar to look originol, but sound decent if not better than decent I'll have the local shop help me with soldering in the knobs and pick ups.

From what I can gather, this version of Jackson/Kelly was made in Japan and then imported to the USA. As far as color, I have a hydrograph in mind. I think a Guitar can be hydrographed. I was going to swirl paint it, but for some reason this deserves better

Later,
Blackrain
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Keep in mind that in an electric solid body guitar, 90% or more of your sound comes from the pickups and electronics. Don't skimp there if you want high-quality at the end of the build.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts