mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Looking at a mid end electro (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/221168-looking-mid-end-electro.html)

Bloop 12-15-2012 10:22 AM

Looking at a mid end electro

So I'm looking at purchasing a mid-end electro, and I'm looking at a few but not sure:

Invert mini
Dangerous power G5
Etek 4 LT
Etha
And possiby the proto rail
No, I'm not interested in the Empire axe because my friend already has one and I just don't like the way it shoots [very good gun still].

What would you guys reccomend and why? Had you had any experiences with any of these markers and what did you like/not like about them?

I'm also probably going to have to get an agitated hopper, what kind would you guys reccomend?

zaphod 12-15-2012 10:51 AM

The only one I've played with is my Etek 4 LT. I love it. It shoots ropes of paint but is deadly accurate with a single shot. I did a lot of research before I got mine and I made the right choice for me. Go out to field and ask people who have the guns what they think. The chrono area is a great place to ask people to shoot their guns. Good luck.

nofxkid2005 12-15-2012 02:57 PM

The Mini and the Etek are gonna be the most reliable of the markers you listed. Purely because everything else is basically a spool... I really want to like the Dangerous Power guns, I loved my FX, but I've seen too many of them not work out of the box... With that said, their guns are awesome when they are working. I kinda feel the same about the Proto guns.. Especially the basic Rail. You really need to be up on the maintenance or they don't wanna work.

*Self_DeFenCe* 12-15-2012 03:01 PM

You won't like the mini if you don't like axes.
I personally don't like Ego's but I love Marqs & Victorys.
Etha is pretty dope but you should try one before buying they have a special feeling.

gainman 12-15-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Self_DeFenCe* (Post 2563601)
You won't like the mini if you don't like axes.

thats not true at all, they shoot very differently and feel different in the hands.

also, the mini is not a spool its a poppit.

Patar 12-15-2012 04:35 PM

mini is an in-line poppit (the bolt and most other mechanics are all in the same carrier, so it looks like a poppit)

I had it and I liked it, but it was a gas and battery hog. Maybe that could be different with some tinkering. But it was reliable. It never crapped out on me for mechanical reasons. It's easy to understand and it's easy to maintain. It was my first gun, and I knew nothing of how paintball guns worked. I simply took my mini apart and everything made sense.

That said, it's small. Some people like that feeling of carrying around something that'll give you a nice tight stance and small profile. I'm a big dude so it was weird.

My friend had an Etek 3 and I still love it. Feels high end but for a good price. It was just loud as hell lol.

I have not heard great things about proto guns, a lot of people report them breaking or something going wrong. If it's such a common occurrence idk if it's always user error.

I tried the Dangerous Power FX and it was an extremely well made gun but it did have some mechanical issues. The board puttered out after 3 games in the rain, and the ASA was leaking non-stop. Just a slight hiss the whole time. Not too much air lost but it was annoying and discomforting.

TL;DR - Planet Eclipse is highly recommended. Good electric hoppers: Halo B or Halo Too.

senghing27 12-15-2012 04:42 PM

Invert mini-
IMO the mini is a downgrade in terms of ergonomics from the Axe. I hated the mini but I somewhat liked shooting an axe for giggles. Still not my cup of tea when it comes to electros. Generally most people dislike the mini, but love the axe. Sometimes it's the other way. Your mileage will vary on this one.

Dangerous power G5-
I've messed with the DP FX, can't say much about the g5.

Etek 4 LT-
Newer than what I have messed with (Etek 3, Ego10, Ego11 if you include dicking around). I enjoyed shooting my Etek 3 LT, very simple to maintain, solid workhorse, and you literally air/chrono/paint and go. Now if you want to have the LCD and and all the whistles, then that's another story. I enjoy turning off my brain and focus on paintball instead of having to deal with my marker and the 30000000+ functions.

Etha -
Currently own one. I really like it. It shoots very well and I love that it's a single tube instead of the double tube setups that I've been used to. The maintenance is pretty straightforward, unless you're me and you grease the bolt guide, which in turn causes bolt stick (go figure...).

Proto Rail-
We talking newer or older ones? They shoot like a spoolie should and performs like the pricing point. I had an 08 and it was meh. Nothing really to write home about.

Out of everything, I would go with the Etek 4 if you're a dedicated poppit shooter.
I do however recommend you to look at older high/midends if you don't mind going the used route.

There are tons of markers out there and the used market is so flooded, you can snag some great deals if you bide your time.

Somethings to look at at the Sub $500 range in no order.
Etek 3
Geo 1.5/2ish
Ego 8-10s
DP FX
Macdev Droid
Macdev Cyborg RX
Macdev Drone
NXT Shocker with a ton of upgrades
Boblong Vice
Boblong Protege
Boblong Marq/Rapper/Whatever the lineage naming scheme goes

Bloop 12-15-2012 10:55 PM

After looking, and holding all the guns I think I like the etek the most. Easy and simple to maintain and also reliable and good overall. I held the etha but it just doesn't feel right in the hands, and as crazy as it sounds I don't like the feel of it.

Patar 12-15-2012 11:34 PM

think you made a good choice friend.

senghing27 12-18-2012 07:36 PM

Etek was a great choice. The etha is different in the hands, with gloves it feels great.