mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Also, no in-gun setup? I can still access the squall on the site so I assumed that was still available.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Squalls are cool bits of work, but I agree, as far as being a "down to business" marker, they come up short. Were I challenged head-to-head by another pistol player, or even an electro player to go one-on-one, the first pistol I would grab would be my Zeus, and I've owned everything from a .45 frame Squall, TPX, T8/8.1, Ariakon ACP, Overlord, SA17, etc.

That said, I do still wish I'd never sold that Squall. But for practicality's sake, anything with Cocker-type operation is a fail from the beginning. Why have an "automated pump" when you can have something built for semi-auto operation from the beginning.

If you were an experienced pistol player who had lusted for many years over a Squall, I wouldn't talk you out of one. But if you really haven't played with a pistol much yet, the sounder investment would be a used blowback pistol with some mods and a decent rig to carry paint and CO2 with. Then step to the big-money guns later if you feel the need. At this point in time I feel the Squall is more of a prestige piece than anything else. Many guns that are much cheaper can keep up with it performance wise, and several are actually better.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
^agree whole heartedly.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

take a 10lbs weight. put it on your hip, hold it like a pistol and run around with it. that's a Squall. prestige overcomes the action or use of the thing. i know 10 years ago, i lusted after them, but i cleared my head and realized that there are better pistols out there.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
But for practicality's sake, anything with Cocker-type operation is a fail from the beginning. Why have an "automated pump" when you can have something built for semi-auto operation from the beginning.
So why do people still argue about autococker vs. automag and the like? :P

I get it anyways, I have heard of stuff being a pain with these sorts of things...kind of like my desire for a Brass Eagle Nightmare but reading about the common issues they have tempering that desire :P hmm :|
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 View Post
So why do people still argue about autococker vs. automag and the like? :P

I get it anyways, I have heard of stuff being a pain with these sorts of things...kind of like my desire for a Brass Eagle Nightmare but reading about the common issues they have tempering that desire :P hmm :|
There is no argument, and I'm not pushing for any one particular gun here, just stating what I've learned in at least 4 years of doing mostly pistol play. I've tried more pistols than most people have owned electros so I'm just imparting my advice. Cocker pneumatics are all well and good when they work. But inevitably something slips out of time and then you're boned. Besides that it results in a long, mushy trigger pull (part of the reason I'm not a huge fan of the TPX either, and that's a spool). I like having a nice clean-breaking trigger so that I can dump the whole tube when I need to without worrying about shortstroking and chopping or loading multiple rounds.

There's just more pieces to fail on a cocker-type marker, that's not opinion or grandstanding, it's just the truth. It doesn't mean that Squalls aren't pretty, or cool, just that they are more complex than a pistol needs to be. There is nothing more maddening than working your balls off to sneak up behind the other team only to pull the trigger and get a dryfire or paint spray out the barrel that gives you away and gets you lit up. So my recommendation to you sir, from experience, is go with something simple.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
There's just more pieces to fail on a cocker-type marker, that's not opinion or grandstanding, it's just the truth.
I was going to say this. However, the OP may like that complexity. I liked the idea of being able to tinker with tiny adjustments and I liked the idea of hoses, and the pneumatics, until they failed on me. I can now repair every serviceable piece in a squall or typhoon and have no fear of working in them, but it took a lot of time, patience, and some money to get to that point. That being said, there are a lot of failure points in the system and there are easier guns to use and maintain. It's just a preference of what you want out of your gun.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Man in Tights

I know, I was kidding. I totally get it about points of failure...just not sure what I want to do now :P
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Pick up a used one for 400. If you don't like it, you should still be able to get your money back.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Man in Tights

That's kind of what I figured especially used. Easier to afford after selling Tac One.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts