mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Eyeing PPS Squall

Hey guys,

I've been considering selling my Tac One because I find I just throw too much paint with it and can't afford to use it much.

I typically play with a Super Stocker, PGP and Phantom.

Guess my questions are:

1) How much do used Squalls go for these days?
2) How reliable are they?
3) Is it something you would recommend?
4) Would it be worthwhile to try to get enough for a new Squall by selling my Tac One, 1200 PSI Ninja tank and Empire Proph? I don't think it would quite come close for cost (my goal is not to spend additional money on paintball).
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

WARPIG - World And Regional Paintball Information Guide

Heavy, expensive, poor velocity control (unregulated CO2 on a gun with a fixed barrel, anyone?)

Not what I would consider a "business" marker.

I'm sure it would look nice on your wall though.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I've owned 5 squalls including one of the Iron Sight Squalls, and they are awesome. They are indeed heavy, and can be inefficient, but mine always shot great and straight. They are reliable if you take care of them. If you pick one up used that's been hanging on a wall somewhere or under someone's bed, it's most likely gonna need some work as is any gun that has not seen the field in awhile. You can get a used stock one for 400-ish. There was a nice one for sale a week or so ago I think.

The biggest thing about using a squall is manipulating the springfeed. The newer ones have the improved twist and pour feed system which is a huge improvement. All Squalls are a blast to use and have that wow factor that other pistols can't match. However, I've dumped all my squalls after I got a SA-17. It's humble but is still an unregulated springfed gun like the squall. The 17 gets almost 40 shots where a squall gets around 25-30 on average. Plus you can change barrels on the 17, and easily convert it to a rifle.

My advice: if you've never played with a spring fed, unregulated pistol - buy a SA-17 for less than 100 and see how you like it. If you enjoy playing that way, think about a used squall.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Manning's suggestion is a reasonable one for going the pistol route. If paint conservation is your biggest complaint with the tacone. You could just change a couple of variables in your current setup. One, lower your tank's output pressure so the rt effect is minimal or until it just shoots a nice semi. Two, get smaller 50 or 100 round loader, the lvl 10 should prevent chops. Play hopper ball with the small loader or only carry 200rnds in game. three, you could get a 13cu or 22cu air tank for a lighter setup that would further limit your shot capacity in game to about 100 or so.

option 4: give me your x-valve and I'll trade you a micromag (classic) valve.

Misc Sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...yder-more.html

wanted:
Parts: Left feed sterling body/whole gun spyder threads preferred.
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A very easy and fun way to control your paint usage on any open class gun is to use a stickfeed.

If you like your Tac one and you ever wan to have the option to throw mass pain you still can. But the stickfeed will make sure you only have limitited paint to do it with...

My business card says "Your in luck, I do two things..."
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Man in Tights

True enough. I guess I just like the idea of something "closer" to pump in terms of challenge but the semi auto capability changes the dynamic a little. Like I said, I use a PGP... I doubt a Squall could be much more difficult to use in terms of efficiency and reloading (unmodified PGP). I do get what you are saying about having firepower if I need it but I almost feel like that's me being outmaneuvered so I should learn from it rather than switch to spray and pray.

And can you forgive me for wanting another somewhat unique marker like my custom Phantom and SS even if its not the 'best' choice in terms of usability? :P I mean, some would argue a Super Stocker is less useful than a Phantom because it's heavier. If I had the money just for giggles I would play a few games with an Airow Gun, never having held a bow in my life :P I guess part of my concern was maintenance of the 4-way (etc.) because I have never used a cocker-style marker. Sorry if this doesn't follow a proper line of thought as I am forced to type from my phone at the minute.

Appreciate ALL the feedback
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
I was a cocker noob when I got my first one. Short strokes are a pain with a springfeed...

I appreciate the uniqueness quality in a gun, and there is a reason why we don't all shoot the same thing. The 4 way isn't as challenging as you'd think. You can take it out of the gun without affecting the timing to work on it. After that its pretty simple really.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Never worked on "timing" either! Guess I'd have reading to do.

(As far as unaddressed advice: never used anything with a reg other than the one built into my Mag, and the only time I've hated using my PGP is when I had to do the nail polish dots for tiny paint).

As far as short stroking, I'm not sure how different it is with Mags but I have the ULT as well so I figured out how to avoid that (and I once had the Longbow kit but didn't end up keeping). I don't expect it would give me a problem if I'm not trying to "walk" such a small trigger.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
If you like the PGP, I think you'll love a squall. Sounds like its right up your alley.

The timing is set by PPS and as long as you don't fool with certain parts of the trigger mechanism, you'll be fine.

I never fired a ULT mag so I don't know how that compares. What I can tell you is that the trigger must be fully depressed for each shot as the trigger is actuating the 4-way to recock the marker. If you let go too soon, you can get a ball half into the breech when releasing the trigger and chop it in half, spraying goo in the barrel and into the spring feed. This will foul your shots as accuracy goes out the window with paint in the barrel.

Most squalls are .690 barrel bores with wedgits. There are a handful of .685 barreled ones but they are rare. If you get one built, you can specify whatever bore you want. PPS is doing cocker threaded brass guns now too, but I'm not sure how that would work on a squall. I'm sure Craig could do some witchcraft on it to make this an option if you wanted it.

I had trouble with small winter paint around here with the .690 barrel. Rollouts were a major pain. On other note, new guns are supposed to be just back bottle only, which is fine by me as you could run a bucket changer or a 3.5 oz tank if you wanted. Some may prefer the 12g in the gun which means buying something used, or sweet talking Craig for an in gun 12g setup. If I were to pick one up I'd commission a build in .685 with wedgits and a side tube spring feed with the twist and pour since the LPR is where the 12g used to go on back bottle squalls. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Hmm I didn't get out much last year but I did run into small paint before....my SS is. 685 and has quad wedgits and i still get an occasional rollout. Curses, I would definitely prefer a 45 grip so that makes things expensive if I comission one! Guess I could keep my eyes out for a cheap one with. 685

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts