mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

When I did some ball stocks I hold them with my lathe. I have a pretty big chuck in it though but if you need a hand getting the hole in it let me know.

All of these balls were bigger than a regular pool ball, these are 4" juggling balls besides the green one which i think was a 3" one. The black one is something else entirely though.

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
Don't you think this would be rather situational though? If your just making one and your just drilling a hole in it (thats what I would assume for a pump handle) I dont see any problem using some wood to hold it. If I wanted to make any more than one I would look into something more but for what amounts to a one off drill press operation quick and dirty is going to be the easier way to go. That being said I would never put it in a CNC though you will need to "feel" the cut.
Wood gives. Which makes it an unsafe clamping material. It's in the 101 course.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Wood gives. Which makes it an unsafe clamping material. It's in the 101 course.
-I must have been skipping class that day...

That's the barrel group to a German Drilling, made around 1912, worth about $3500. Good thing I didn't know how horrible wood was to use as a clamping material, or I might've ruined it!

Doc.
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
-I must have been skipping class that day...

http://www.docsmachine.com/nonPB/drilling1.jpg

http://www.docsmachine.com/nonPB/drilling2.jpg

http://www.docsmachine.com/nonPB/drilling3.jpg

That's the barrel group to a German Drilling, made around 1912, worth about $3500. Good thing I didn't know how horrible wood was to use as a clamping material, or I might've ruined it!

Doc.
Yeah... I wouldn't send any projects your way, after seeing that.

That's a lot of risk to your client to save yourself the cost and inconvenience of soft jaws. Your picture, showing that you machined the wood is even more damning. All you saved yourself was the cost of aluminum... 20 dollars to pass the risk to your client.

Non-machinists take note... There's precious little possibility of dimensional accuracy with Doc's setup, either.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan

Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Yeah... I wouldn't send any projects your way, after seeing that.
-Yeah, that setup was such a catastrophe the customer was pleased enough he had me make a new rear sight leaf to match.

Quote:
Non-machinists take note... There's precious little possibility of dimensional accuracy with Doc's setup, either.
-Oh geez... Did somebody that looks like me run over your dog this morning or something?

The cut was indexed off the gun's original sight groove (and not, say, a distant vise jaw or other external zero) and it was made in a single pass, with a form tool. At what point could the wood have introduced a variable?

Doc.
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Eh.... I've learned there is many ways for doing things over the years. I won't bash the use of wood. Hell I have used .75 inch lexan before because I didn't have the aluminum on hand and well it was for a one time use.

Plus in the 12+ years behind the mill..... I used the wrong vice for 5 of them and some of my most impressive projects came off of it. Prepare to cringe.

Scary right.. 1 inch hole 6 inches deep in a drill press vice. Totally wrong... but the end result was awesome.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
A well try to be helpful......a better way to answer your question would be for you to tell us what you have to use and then we could then suggest ways to use what you have. Wood would work to protect finishes on delicate one off parts (Doc's), for shims and what not it. As BOS pointed out he did soemthing that wouldn't be a good idea for multiple parts but it worked for the one time he needed it too.

One more thing, make sure you wear a dust mask when you cut the ball (if you do it dry). The resin dust off those things is nasty to breath in.

The lesson is that there are a multitude of ways to skin a cat, for short run fast set-ups that someone with an ounce of skill and balls big enough to pull off you can do just about anything...once.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoselka View Post
A well try to be helpful......a better way to answer your question would be for you to tell us what you have to use and then we could then suggest ways to use what you have.
What I'm cutting is a clear acrylic "contact juggling" ball...I think it's 2.5" in diameter. Can't remember anymore. Pretty much pool ball size.

I have a manual Chinese mill and lathe, big enough for most hobby stuff. 3 jaw chuck 4 jaw chuck etc. Old Bridgeport milling vice. Some aluminum and hard plastic stock available and also some hardwoods available too....black walnut and mahogany.

I have the usual tooling available...I have a 7/8" diameter 5" long mill for this job. My Dad was a machinist for 33 years so I inherited all his tools so nice V-blocks and all that.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan View Post
What I'm cutting is a clear acrylic "contact juggling" ball...I think it's 2.5" in diameter. Can't remember anymore. Pretty much pool ball size.

I have a manual Chinese mill and lathe, big enough for most hobby stuff. 3 jaw chuck 4 jaw chuck etc. Old Bridgeport milling vice. Some aluminum and hard plastic stock available and also some hardwoods available too....black walnut and mahogany.

I have the usual tooling available...I have a 7/8" diameter 5" long mill for this job. My Dad was a machinist for 33 years so I inherited all his tools so nice V-blocks and all that.
Using wood for a one off will work. its not like you are putting something in orbit. it has the added bonus of not marring the part. use hardwood and not softwood, its much harder to compress.

You could also put your four jaw on the bed of the mill and clamp it down. that would give you four points of contact instead of 3 with a single vblock.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts