mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
I use the cheapo volley ball knee pads, those along with thebuilt in pads on my pants do a pretty good job. Even without pads on my pants (Exalt Throwbacks) the cheapos do a great job. I tried the hard knee pads but I found that they would move out of position too easy.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

I play in SoCal, proto knee pads is what I use and seem to work great I've had two knee surgery's so I make sure i take care of my bad knee I think the proto knee pads are great they also work as support imo
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Almost forgot about them. I remember when they used to market to paintball :P

I feel that it's worth discussing how various pads hold onto you as I've tried several types and brands and only one stays in place through my woodsball games where I'm springing diving and sliding. I wear my pads under my pants as I prefer to a

The problem I have is that all of the ones that rely on elastic material and elastic straps work their way downwards, even the dye models that have the silicone textures designed to increase friction (or remove my leg hair, one of the two). The main cause being that our knees are narrower than our thighs. For those designs that include shin protection, an elastic strap at the bottom exacerbates this.

In my case, I've found the perfect (at least for me) knee pad but, it's no longer in production. What I like about it:

Open back design- allows my legs to breathe.

Two, non-stretch, adjustable straps that lock above and below the peak of my calf muscles (gastrocnemius to be specific). Once tightened down, the pad does not slip ever, even when I'm wearing underarmor underneath them.

A flexible top strap that's there only to keep the top portion from folding down over the lower portion. It came from the factory in neoprene that will stretch out of time but, it attaches via velcro so, if necessary, I can trim or replace it, and just sew on the velcro.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post

I feel that it's worth discussing how various pads hold onto you as I've tried several types and brands and only one stays in place through my woodsball games where I'm springing diving and sliding. I wear my pads under my pants as I prefer to a

I too hate external knee pads for that reason. For the most part I like knee pads that are also built-into the pants... like the dye tacticals.... though my current pair of pants are crye's.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
I too hate external knee pads for that reason. For the most part I like knee pads that are also built-into the pants... like the dye tacticals.... though my current pair of pants are crye's.
LOL, I see that I didn't finish that sentence- "I wear my pads underneath as I prefer to not have them detract from whatever camo I am wearing".
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
ooooh lol

I was going with the external knee pads tend to slip/move on you more theme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
LOL, I see that I didn't finish that sentence- "I wear my pads underneath as I prefer to not have them detract from whatever camo I am wearing".
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

So most of you guys where knee pads inside your pants? I don't have a dedicated pair of paintball pants, I just rock jeans or cargo shorts. Should pants rank higher on the to buy list? If so, recommendations?
Crimson Death, those pads look like exactly what I want, to bad about the price.
Bonus question: What sort of shot count can I expect from a 13/3000 on a ion with stock bolt and reg, I'm wondering if its worth using one on my marker.
Thanks for the great info guys
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pb pads are worthless they are intended for turf not woodsball. Surplus stuff andI volleyball is wwhat I use. The pro of volleyball is it doubles as a knee brace too. The con is its intended to be worn on bare flesh hence the sock like material and knee brace style. It can be a pain to shimmy up your pant leg of you wear it over you pants. And the crimps in the pant material start to chafe after a while. And if you ever need to drop trowel you have to shimmy them back down again. If you wear it under the pant it works fine. But things being things it will start to slide down the over time and now it's difficult to hike it up again. And now it won protect the material of your pants either so expect holes. So while I really like the brace affect I just stick to standard surplus turtle shell pads.

Pads built into pants are convenient but you can replace pads cheaper than pants. You may want to consider that.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
So most of you guys where knee pads inside your pants? I don't have a dedicated pair of paintball pants, I just rock jeans or cargo shorts. Should pants rank higher on the to buy list? If so, recommendations?
Crimson Death, those pads look like exactly what I want, to bad about the price.
Bonus question: What sort of shot count can I expect from a 13/3000 on a ion with stock bolt and reg, I'm wondering if its worth using one on my marker.
Thanks for the great info guys
Most PB pads will hold up for a little while with use in the woods, and no pants over the top. I wouldn't expect too much.

As far as pants first over pads, I can see advantages either way. With pads first, you are better protecting your knees. With pants first, you're giving some modicum of protection to the entirety of your leg but, they will better protect your pads when you get them.

As far as Ions on 13/3K tanks- you'll get about 100 shots if your Ion is tuned for efficiency, and a good paint to barrel match.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts