mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
My first was a skyfly, and it held up really well. Everything was replaceable and reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
bss

I use to fly RC helicopters. It is best to get a RC simulator like RealFlight. All the Pro RC flyers have RC simulator to practice 3D flying.

I bought a Zagi (Zagi - The Original EPP Foam RC Flying Wing) years ago to learn how to fly planes. It is basically a foam flying wing with the prop on the rear. It was design for combat flying. The goal is to bump the other planes out of the sky. You can crash a zagi into the ground and it will survive where you can continue to fly. It is the best thing for kids on low budget.
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Thanks for all the advise!

For the Real Flight sim, is the basic one for $100 ok? Is it worth paying $200 for the deluxe one?

I found the Real Flight disks/program on ebay for $39, no controller/radio. Which radio do you guys recommend? What do I need to connect a radio to an umb port?

Is this flight sim any good?

Dynam 6CH USB RC Flight Simulator for Radio Controlled Airplanes and Helicopters
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post

For the Real Flight sim, is the basic one for $100 ok? Is it worth paying $200 for the deluxe one?

I found the Real Flight disks/program on ebay for $39, no controller/radio. Which radio do you guys recommend? What do I need to connect a radio to an umb port?

Dynam 6CH USB RC Flight Simulator for Radio Controlled Airplanes and Helicopters

Here's a whole page of simulators

rc simulators in Simulators | eBay

Hope this helps.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

CCM Fan
just a heads up on sims, the cord/controler is the decoder that you need, just the software is useless (you can buy the Pheonix software for $5 directly from them, but its $130 with the cord). PM replied as well

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Zagi's are great, you can beat the hell out of them... pick em up and fly again! That said they are NOT slow and might not be an ideal first plane choise (great second plane though!)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

The stigma with flying wings is that most people simply build them out to be fast. So "wings must be fast" because "everyone builds them to be fast". Strangely familiar logic...

Here is a Stryker, a plane notorious for high speed antics, built out to about 11 ounces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C5g2EmaR-A

After I finished another round of modifications, I had that thing down to about 11oz... including an onboard 3.3oz HD Hero.

To reiterate, more strongly:

1. Do not buy a "Champ" or "Cub" or really any plane that is "modeled" after a real plane.

2. Get your wing loading down -- somewhere around 7oz/sq ft.

3. Wind will be the dominant factor in deciding whether or not you fly. It is in your best interests, as a beginner, to pick a plane which fares well in the wind. How does one gain experience flying in the wind if one cannot fly in the wind?

4. Pick a plane that you can properly glide test before your first powered flight. Hint: landing gear doesn't help you here. Hint: excessive wing loading due to frilly "scale model looks" doesn't help you here. Hint: motor and prop on the front of the plane doesn't help you here.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
bss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post

The Real Flight Basic package should be fine for beginners. Real Flight are always making updates and improvements. If you are on a low budget, go with the Real Flight Basic package. When you start getting into advance flying (3D tricks), start looking into the Real Flight deluxe package. I believe by then...Real Flight would have a newer version out.

The Real Flight Deluxe package is worth it. Most Radio Control shops have a demo for people to test it. You should check out a local RC shop before you make your final decision.

As for the controller, I would suggest using the Real Flight controller. Real Flight gives you the option to use your own RC radio as the controller. Basically, you are using a USB link cable to the trainer port on the RC radio. Keep in mind, your RC radio has to have the trainer port. Not all RC radios have these. Using your RC radio gets you a little closer to the real feel of flying your personal plane. On the other hand, some people invest thousands on their RC radio. We all have tripped on cords before, so some of us with expensive radios actually prefer to use the Real Flight controller. The Real Flight controller is made by Futaba. Futaba is one of the most popular and reliable radios on the market.

As far as RC radio selection, there are several to choose from. Futaba and JR are the only radios I would purchase. There are others like Airtronics, Hitec, and Tower Hobbies. Airtronics is not a popular radio, but they are get radios. Hitec is popular for its affordable pricing. I believe Futaba and JR has been around the longest, so they seem to push the technology. I would suggest going with Futaba. Futaba makes a wide selection of radios for beginners to expert level.

I haven't tried the flight simulator by Dynam, but it seem like everyone in the review section likes it. It also seems like you can't go wrong for a sale price of $15.90.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
bss

I forgot to mention a couple more things.

RC radios for Planes/Helicoptors come in two different modes. Mode 1 is right hand throttle which is used in Europe and a few other countries. Mode 2 is left hand throttle which is used in USA. Get Mode 2.

Whichever flight simulator you decide on, verify that your computer's graphic and processor is adequate to run the program. Real Flight has great graphics that requires a pretty strong computer.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
JR's are the dominant radio for helis. I used to work for Horizon Hobby (owners of the Losi and JR brands just to name a few). We sold more JR radios and crystals than any other manufacturer for helis, when it came down to radios for planes, Futaba and HiTec both outsold JR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts