mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Un Tico

Raw marker ano question.

So i have couple of project markers. one is completely raw, the other just a body. Instead of getting them ano, I was thinking of having a cerakote. This mean the insides of the bodies would not be anod or coated any way, just leaving them raw. would i have any problems down the line leaving the insides raw? would it be better/protect the marker inside?
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

what kind of marker bodies are these? if they're for guns, like blow back stacked tube semis, where tolerances aren't required to be super tight, you could get away with not treating the internal passageways. but other guns, like some spool valve based markers, require very tight tolerances, so in this case you would run into a lot of problems not treating the internal passageways.

I have been in a similar situation to you before. I made the mistake of not getting the gun body hard anodized, and ended up with a broken gun sooner than I had expected. I'd really suggest saving yourself some grief and getting the internal passageways, at a minimum, treated/protected before the gun is cerakote.

I'd really just suggested getting your guns hard anodized and then cerakoting whatever you like after that. you'll end up with a gun that will look cleaner, work better, and last a lot longer - even if it is one of those that doesn't require super tight tolerances.
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Un Tico

Toy,

Thanks for the info and posting experience.

The bodies I have are old school impulse, viking, possible evilm, and a cocker.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

My pleasure. Although it's not as important as with some other guns, again where tight tolerances are key, I'd still highly recommend you get the guns you mentioned hard anodized before you get they cerakoted. If nothing else you'll get years more use out of them and higher performance if you get them properly finished (i.e. hard anodizing). At the end of the day, they'll work regardless, but like I said you're kinda walking a fine line without getting them anodized. Plus, with a simple ano job, the worst thing you'll have to suffer through to get it done is the time it takes - i.e. it's not expensive for your needs here, as you'll have the exterior cerakoted anyways, you just need the internal chambers finished up nice and protected from wear.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

IIRC you need to have your aluminum parts anodized prior getting them cerakoting anyway.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Well then there you go

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts