mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Chrono backstop material? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/222304-chrono-backstop-material.html)

matteekay 12-31-2012 02:06 PM

Chrono backstop material?

Hey everybody!

One project I'd like to try over the next year is building a small(ish) chrono rig; something where I can shoot a marker over a chrono into some sort of paint-collecting device. Obviously I can just build a wood box but what I'm wondering is:

1. Is there some sort of material I can line it with that would reduce/eliminate breaks? Some kind of dense foam, maybe?

2. If 1 isn't possible, what would be a good lining that would be easy to clean? Any thoughts on how to make it removable?

Thanks!

sQuidvision 12-31-2012 02:19 PM

i'd imagine lose fabric would have the best bet at reducing breaks

Grendal50 12-31-2012 02:25 PM

I've heard of people using sheets or blankets.

Rage 01 12-31-2012 02:32 PM

Here is what I have built in my shop.
A 8 foot x 4 foot high box. I had some scrap netting and put it around it except the front.
In the back I used some 4 inch foam out of a travel trailer. (used for the beds)
I only shoot reballs because of the mess.

There are lots of other options in what to use. I like the foam in the back because it does not bounce back out.

toymachine 12-31-2012 02:55 PM

think ridiculously over-sized super soft barrel condom. well, more or less. fabric hood/cone/snake/sock is the way to go. I experimented with the kind of mesh that upon reacting to force proportionally tightens up, conversely expands, but never really got very far with that (lots of potential, I just never followed up given how well the fabric snake sock thing worked). I found shooting lots of balls, at high rof, would generally promote breaks in the collection device, but I don't know if this is a universal rule or just applied to my socky thing.

maggot 12-31-2012 03:13 PM

Before I bought reballs I did this: take a huge carboard box and fill the inside with foam then line the bottom and sides with plastic. The balls shoot through the first layer of cardboard and are caught by the foam. Any breaks don't leak through b/c of the plastic.

sniper42 12-31-2012 03:37 PM

If you just hang a sheet so the bottom can hang freely, it will absorb the energy of the shot and wont break the ball. Some people use this to chrono fs rounds so you don't waste them.

Hawkeye20 12-31-2012 04:02 PM

Mesh/Netting. The stuff paintball fields are lined with. Put it in there at a slight angle to encourage paintballs to roll down to the bottom.

BretG 12-31-2012 07:18 PM

I use a cardboard box- the type that reams of paper come in.
Cut a hole in one end, including the lid. Line the bottom of the inside with a plastic garbage bag. Take another garbage bag and pack wads of newspaper in it. Place the bag inside the box. Firing over a chrono into the open end has the paintballs passing through the bag and any paint that breaks is absorbed by the paper. You can shoot quite a lot of paint into this arrangement before adding more paper or replacing the bag.
Thrown the whole mess away when the paint escapes the box.
Then make a new one.

TornadoAlley 01-05-2013 12:22 AM

I have seen a big road construction cone used. you shoot into the cone and put a bucket under the to catch the paint dripping.