mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Need another gun recommendation (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/222943-need-another-gun-recommendation.html)

MR_Rick 01-08-2013 12:12 AM

Need another gun recommendation

Last time I made a thread for this, it was for my son. Now I need to find something better for my daughter. She plays and it turns out that she is very good. By the third time she played, she has already established a reputation as "ruthless" in our local speedball field. The local team want to coach her to fine tune her skills so she can play with them.

Anyways, she uses an old Ion and I believe she might need an upgrade. When she borrowed another player Ego when her Ion had some issues, it was apparent that she needed something more reliable and flexible. What I don't want is to spend a ton of money on a gun.

My wife plays with a G4 and my daughter used it for the rest of the day petty good. I'm almost tempted to just get her that but I was also told that Invert Mini is a bit better than the G4. We have experience with the G4 and to us is a good gun, but she likes the look of a specific Invert Mini.

Want to get you guys input in wish gun you guys recommend for her. Between those 2 or any other gun around the same price.

Edit: Thanks for all your inputs fellas. She raised some funds on her own and we got her an used Etek 4 with some nice add ons for an awesome price from a local team player.

redlaser666 01-08-2013 12:19 AM

The mini is by far my favorite marker of all the 40 or 50 that I have used though the years. Both my wife and I use them when we play.
But its not for everyone, it has a very small frame and gripping areas so not everyone is comfortable with them.

If you can take her to a local place that has one have her try it out along with the Etha, the Axe and maybe the proto reflex line. Those are all about the same layout and price range as the mini and G4.

Good luck!

nofxkid2005 01-08-2013 12:27 AM

I wanna like Dangerous Power more, as when their markers work, they're hard to beat. With that said, you really can't beat the reliability of the Mini in that price range. Of course you could always look at the used market. $350-$400 will net you some pretty decent older high ends...

MR_Rick 01-08-2013 12:35 AM

I was thinking about getting her used market but I want something that I know will work out of the box. I bought both of my kids used guns to begging with and half way between their first game they had issues. I don't want them to deal with that again.

minimag03 01-08-2013 12:38 AM

The Mini is a great gun. I cannot bold and underline that enough. I've owned one since they were released in 2006. They (and the Axe) have a lifetime warranty, and also transfers to all second-hand owners. If any problem ever came up, Empire would just send me a new part for free. On top of that, their parts are cheap in case you ever have to buy one on the spot (solenoid $30, main board $28, etc.). The design is also very simple, with little dynamic seals which translates into being very reliable. The only upgrade I would consider necessary is a nice trigger. The stock trigger on the Mini loves to bounce. They shoot awesome and even better with a quality aftermarket bolt like the Lurker or Boss. I prefer the Boss for it's simplicity. The on/off ASA isn't a performance upgrade, but just makes adding/removing the tank easier.

I'd buy used, as the warranty will cover ANY problems you might run into. If you are going to buy new, the Axe is a better deal. It has the on/off asa and a very nice trigger that makes it worth the extra cash. When buying a used Mini, get one with the V3 poppet and detents. If you decide the Mini is still more for her and you still want to buy new, call the place and make sure their Minis have the new Empire Shockwave board installed. Newer Minis should have them.

The main drawback of the Axe and Mini is that they use proprietary orings. The marker was designed around the odd size orings so only one company would be making them for Empire. It's actually a great idea, as many places sell orings that are slightly out of spec. With only one company producing the orings for Empire, they can control the quality of all orings out for their markers. But that also means you have to pay more for them.

p8ntninja 01-08-2013 01:59 AM

Cant go wrong with either a Mini or Axe. I personally would stay away from DP, they are notorious for having issues out of the box, both the G3 and G4 were known for being problematic once out of the box. If you want to go DP, get G3 Spec-R, it is a refined G3 minus all the issues. I have been told that they also use a proprietary O ring but I am not 100% positive on that.

MR_Rick 01-08-2013 02:35 AM

Yes my G4 has proprietary o-rings. My wife's G4 has be nothing but good out of the box. As soon as I got it, took it apart, cleaned the factory grease off, oiled it....no issues what's so ever. Had put 2 cases through it. I think I will get her a Mini then. Thanks for the inputs.

minimag03 01-08-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_Rick (Post 2585760)
Yes my G4 has proprietary o-rings. My wife's G4 has be nothing but good out of the box. As soon as I got it, took it apart, cleaned the factory grease off, oiled it....no issues what's so ever. Had put 2 cases through it. I think I will get her a Mini then. Thanks for the inputs.

Another thing to consider is that the Mini uses an HES to activate the marker while the Axe uses a standard microswitch. Some people might not like the feel of the HES, but a new trigger goes a long way in helping with that. I'd suggest the Violent trigger for the Mini. It comes with a bunch of different magnets so you can adjust the tension. It also comes the the Violent trigger pin that they sell separately. It doesn't require a punch to remove it so it makes quick cleaning a breeze.

Pdubs 01-08-2013 11:48 AM

If she wants a fast, light gun for speedball look towards a used axe. It's everything that's good with the mini after fixing the bad stuff! you can get used ones for $300, and they are very up gradable.

MR_Rick 01-08-2013 12:28 PM

Another one that I just notice in the same price range is Planet Eclipse Etha. What's your guys take on this one?