mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Velocity Spikes

I'm having a very strange problem with an NXT Shocker.

The story behind it is that my friend used to play for SP. He has a BUNCH of old shockers lying around, and most don't work. When he heard I was getting back into the sport and playing PSP this summer, he dumped 5 of them on my lap. Told me to fix em up, get em sold and buy a nice new marker. best gift ever. So ups to that.

But I've been working on my fav of the group, which I'm considering keeping in my bag as a backup. It's a Blue/Black Fade NXT. I replaced all the orings, and lubed everything up.

It airs up perfectly. There are no gauges on the marker so I don't know the exact running pressure.

So the first couple shots over a chrono are perfect. Then once you start getting into higher ROFs there will be SPIKES in velocity. Like I had it tuned where if I shot slowly it would be 275fps +/- 8 (as to not ever go over the limit of a local field 290fps. ) When I shot ropes over the chrono and set it to record High/low I would get lows of 276 and highs of 315.

When I set it to record 20 shot fps (on the chrono) and the marker to PSP 3 shot ramping I got most of the shots within the 275-290 range but 5 shots rose above 300fps. Out of 100 that could be acceptable, out of 20 thats NOT.

I changed HPRs, SAME ISSUE. I used both HPRs on another NXT and they worked fine. You can hear the velo jumps when you are shooting too. I don't understand...What could fix/cause this?
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Does this happen with different examples of paint? Inconsistent paint is often an overlooked factor with this type of problem.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Its pretty nice paint actually. Its some Xball blaze of much better quality then i'm used to seeing from them. Shoots like a dream out of the SFT with the same barrel i'm using on the NXT. I don't have anything else on hand, but I'll grab something else next time i'm out just to check. Not sure what I can get around here (back up in Burlington now, was in NY last week) that is better then this blaze tho. Wallmart and Dicks seem to ruin any decent paint they bother carrying.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gun Designer

Sounds like board setting issues and if the orings are new they may require a bit of break in as in set the reg a tad bit lowere and shoot it till the soften up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIballer View Post
Sounds like board setting issues and if the orings are new they may require a bit of break in as in set the reg a tad bit lowere and shoot it till the soften up a bit.
This seems to have been the issue. Having put a case of Blaze through it, the problem is gone. The spikes have gone back to normal spikes, no more then 10fps ever. I didn't think oring break it could cause such major issues, but they seem to have worked themselves out.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts