mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
One thing that really helps on occluded sights is when you are off-side-eye dominant, i.e. right-handed shooter with left eye dominance. I didn't realize this until I started using a daisy led sight at night. At night, you can't see much through a daisy, but if your other eye can track the silhouette, you can put a ball on it.

I have a Armson max-duty on my P-style trilogy. I have put that sight on other markers, but is easier and most useful on the pistol. With a pistol, you can bring the sight to your eyes, rather than bringing your head to the marker. I don't use it all the time, but it has some good uses.

Paintballs aren't perfect, but they do have an average cone of impact. With a target at distance, you can use a pistol with a sight and have a chance to hit that is as good as any other setup. Compensating for wind is easy, and you can return to shooting at a particular bunker with a known drop (say six feet over will put the ball in the right spot on average).

Ambush; when you know where they will come out, you put the dot where your average cone will definitely cover the target and not halfway on the bunker.

Snapshot; check your grip and hold before you pop from cover. Trust the dot exactly, shoot and come back.

Shooting angles through holes; when you have some monkey shooting at you from crack or small second story window and you can't hose them down, a sight will let you figure out your shot quickly and come back on line when a opportunity presents itself.

Ignore it; just because you have a sight doesn't mean you have to use it. Using a sight will help you develop the feel for a marker quickly. You may not want it at all after a while. There are also play structures where you can't use a sight very well; don't force yourself to use a sight.

I'm waiting for PTP to start making tritium sights again. Daisy sights only last me a few night games, but it's fun one-shotting people in the dark at a distance.
Thanks Spider! I'm definitely going to look into the Pro Team model you referred to. I might also end up getting the old Dye Izon type site form Rage, just cause he'll sell it to me super cheap. That said, I like what you have to say about the Pro Team Max duty sight. That looks exactly like what I wanted - especially considering you said it works best on a pistol like setup, which is EXACTLY what I'm using it for

Just to be crystal, this is the Pro Team Max Duty sight you were referring to?

toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
Thanks Spider! I'm definitely going to look into the Pro Team model you referred to. I might also end up getting the old Dye Izon type site form Rage, just cause he'll sell it to me super cheap. That said, I like what you have to say about the Pro Team Max duty sight. That looks exactly like what I wanted - especially considering you said it works best on a pistol like setup, which is EXACTLY what I'm using it for

Just to be crystal, this is the Pro Team Max Duty sight you were referring to?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/proteam_2196_7300787
Yes. Check out the mount difference too.

I don't know how to identify the difference by model. Not a big deal, but I wonder how you would tell, if you wanted one or the other.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Nice, I forgot that I'd seen that sight on your gun there from your other threads on making it

What kind of mount are you using - the dovetail machined into the top of the trilogy body there?

And I really like how the dovetail or whatever adapter is set at the very front of the sight, allowing it to stick out the back over the rear end of the gun. Did you have to order this special or can you adjust the location of the dovetail adapter on the sight?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
Nice, I forgot that I'd seen that sight on your gun there from your other threads on making it

What kind of mount are you using - the dovetail machined into the top of the trilogy body there?

And I really like how the dovetail or whatever adapter is set at the very front of the sight, allowing it to stick out the back over the rear end of the gun. Did you have to order this special or can you adjust the location of the dovetail adapter on the sight?
Just got lucky! The rail is built into the trilogy and the sight mount is not adjustable. Tracy_PTP might be able to say how/why the mounting varies from their website pics. I assumed it was just different revisions of some sort. PTP might have an old one in stock, if that is what mine is. The quality seems too good to be a copy. That whole marker is a collection of parts and poo that ended up just right.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Occluded sights just don't work well for me for some reason (maybe because I have partial eye dominance issues?). Red dot's do work and I'm just training myself to use them as they're supposed to be used
xxerexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

OEGs are older tech and had their time. A cheapo red dot is a lot better because the dot is illuminated and you don't lose an eye's worth of vision.

However, the red dot will have parallaxing problems and the OEG will have its own issues.
NotBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

First off, I'm a huge fan of OEG-type sights and use them on all my pumps.
I prefer them over battery-powered red dots because they're essentially paintball-proof from any possible angle of impact and unlike a red dot there's no batteries to go out.

The sight in the auction is a 32 degrees "Magnum" OEG sight.
As others have said, it's a clone of the original DYE iZon which in turn was a clone of the Armson sights.

I've owned all three, and in my experience the quality of the Magnum is much better than the DYE, at least, the old ones; the dot is clear and nice and bright and the adjustment knobs aren't as prone as the DYE's to stripping out. Neither, however, is as nice as a genuine Armson.

The real catch with these cheap 32* Magnum sights is that the mounting rail can be a bit of a pain. It's ostensibly designed for 3/8" dovetail sight rails as used to be standard on paintball guns, but the height of the mounting screws prevents it from being bolted onto any but the tallest and narrowest of Dovetail rails. The Magnum I have fit fine on my old Psychoballistics Superbolt (which I suspect it was designed for) and my Action Markers Illusion, but I was never able to get it to mount properly to my Phantom, Maverick, nor any of my Spyders. The Armson, on the other hand, uses blade-type attachment and is far more forgiving and grants a surer grip.

Good info here: Is there a Less Expensive Alternative to Armson Sights?

Last edited by The Inflicted; 01-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrian View Post
OEGs are older tech and had their time. A cheapo red dot is a lot better because the dot is illuminated and you don't lose an eye's worth of vision.

However, the red dot will have parallaxing problems and the OEG will have its own issues.
Personally, I loose less vision using both eyes than when I use one eye through a red dot. Target acquisition is fast with both eyes and elevation can be huge while keeping the target underneath (where you would loose it through a red dot). Either way, don't use any sight if you can't afford the loss of vision at that moment. The nice part about using one on a pistol is that the dot (on either) will usually come up in your vision as you try to put a ball on your opponent, even when you aren't really trying to use it. At that point you can correct your aim, or stick it out because you can see that you are on target but getting unlucky through the trees.

I would have a red dot as an occluded or thru sight (like the daisy) but I always have two issues. One is the coin battery going dead, either from age in the closet or the switch is not all the way off. The second is the contacts in the switches and on the battery. The cheapo contacts get loose and mildly corroded which makes the 3V circuit iffy. I've often had a daisy working before going on field to find it flaking out when I needed it. I've had the same problem with the 30-40 dollar red dots. I have a nice first edition aimpoint, but it is so fat with a skinny field of vision.

What I would really like is one of those tiny red dots like a burris fastfire with a tritium source. If they make one, I probably wouldn't want to pay the price for a paintball sight.

"I don't always use sights, but when I do, I milk them for all they are worth."
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
First off, I'm a huge fan of OEG-type sights and use them on all my pumps.
I prefer them over battery-powered red dots because they're essentially paintball-proof from any possible angle of impact and unlike a red dot there's no batteries to go out.

The sight in the auction is a 32 degrees "Magnum" OEG sight.
As others have said, it's a clone of the original DYE iZon which in turn was a clone of the Armson sights.

I've owned all three, and in my experience the quality of the Magnum is much better than the DYE, at least, the old ones; the dot is clear and nice and bright and the adjustment knobs aren't as prone as the DYE's to stripping out. Neither, however, is as nice as genuine Armson.

The real catch with these cheap 32* Magnum sights is that the mounting rail can be a bit of a pain. It's ostensibly designed for 3/8" dovetail sight rails as used to be standard on paintball guns, but the height of the mounting screws prevents it from bolted onto any but the tallest and narrowest of Dovetail rails. The Magnum I have fit fine on my old Psychoballistics Superbolt (which I suspect it was designed for) and my Action Markers Illusion, but I was never able to get it to mount properly to my Phantom, Maverick, nor any of my Spyders. The Armson, on the other hand, uses blade-type attachment and is far more forgiving and grants a surer grip.

Good info here: Is there a Less Expensive Alternative to Armson Sights?
Great, thanks for the info! I've decided to go ahead and get the Armson/ProTeam version. Been talking with them and I might even be able to get a silver model which would match my PG(P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
The nice part about using one on a pistol is that the dot (on either) will usually come up in your vision as you try to put a ball on your opponent, even when you aren't really trying to use it. At that point you can correct your aim, or stick it out because you can see that you are on target but getting unlucky through the trees.
Yup, this is exactly what I was thinking of using it for.

Thanks again for all the feedback folks!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Shameless self plug, but I am selling a vintage Armson site right now for anyone looking.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts