mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Red Dot Sights?

Remember those old Dye Izon or whatever they were called Red Dot Sights? I saw this on ebay, and it looks exactly the same: Silver 22 Pellet Paintball BB OEG Red Dot Armson Style Sight New $49 95 | eBay

Here's a pic if the sale ends and link doesn't work:

Anyways, anyone have experience with sights like this? I was thinking of getting this type of sight for use on a PG/PGP (finally found sight rail that'll allow me to mount dovetail sights like this). Specifically I was thinking of getting a Pro-Team/Armson "Max Duty Sight."

Tbh I have never really used sights for regular paintball guns. They just don't work well for me considering paintballs don't behave like bullets. Anyways, recently I tried using a sight with another stock class gun and found that it was helpful in a very few incidents. Really though I just think it'll look cool on my PG/PGP, to have a sight on a pump stock class pistol I mean, lol

Your thoughts on these type of sights? Are there any other varieties/models of sights like this? The one pictured is super cheap, like less than $20, while the Armson sight is a bit more, like $70, so I want to make sure I get a worthwhile one, if I get one at all.

Do you think something like a ghost ring - specifically CCI's ghost ring with the bead in the center (if I got that manufacturer wrong, please forgive and correct me, but you know what I mean) - would work better than the sort of red dot sight I'm interested in?

Thanks for any and all help!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gun Designer

its a weird sight as both eyes have to be open to work for the "izon" style sight also Dye is making them again, Your better off getting a regular red dot as the izon is mounted behind a feedneck but im not 100 percent sure if it works if there is no feedneck present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Those occluded(sp?) eye sights like the izon are pretty solid. I've used one on my SP-8 and my SP-1 (I modified mine with a 1" scope ring and some electrical tape to mount on a tac rail). depending on the ranges you typically engage at, it can be pretty damn good. They work regardless if they have a feedneck in front of them or not. If your gun does have a vertical feed, you're best going with this sort of sight instead of a typical red-dot, though, since it forces you to use both eyes.

Thunderstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~FinSec View Post
If it has tits or tires its gonna cause trouble.

Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

I've always wondered how long it was going to take for someone to adapt a hunting bow style sight to a paintball application. Paintballs fly much more like arrows than bullets.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL View Post
I've always wondered how long it was going to take for someone to adapt a hunting bow style sight to a paintball application. Paintballs fly much more like arrows than bullets.
This isn't new, Armson did it in the 90's, while Dye re-did it 10-15 years ago.
DamoNAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

No, THIS isn't a bowsight. I was referring more to the multiple pin style sights on compound bows.
Believe me, I remember when these started to be adapted for paintball. Right around 97/98 when vert feeds came out. I think PTP offered the armson version with their micromags in matching anno.
They're ok at speedball ranges if you have a vert feed gun. You may like a normal red dot if you're used to "aiming" and not necessarily using muscle memory. These are great as a reference point for snapshooting.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
You know the music...

Super useful if you can train yourself to use it. I used to use a red dot on my tac-one. I knew exactly how much the drop was at 30 yards...

But here's the thing... No matter how deadly I was with it... I almost never rememberd to actually use the thing. Too many years of instinct shooting have made me a man that will probably never use the sights on a paintball marker in any meaningful way.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

One thing that really helps on occluded sights is when you are off-side-eye dominant, i.e. right-handed shooter with left eye dominance. I didn't realize this until I started using a daisy led sight at night. At night, you can't see much through a daisy, but if your other eye can track the silhouette, you can put a ball on it.

I have a Armson max-duty on my P-style trilogy. I have put that sight on other markers, but is easier and most useful on the pistol. With a pistol, you can bring the sight to your eyes, rather than bringing your head to the marker. I don't use it all the time, but it has some good uses.

Paintballs aren't perfect, but they do have an average cone of impact. With a target at distance, you can use a pistol with a sight and have a chance to hit that is as good as any other setup. Compensating for wind is easy, and you can return to shooting at a particular bunker with a known drop (say six feet over will put the ball in the right spot on average).

Ambush; when you know where they will come out, you put the dot where your average cone will definitely cover the target and not halfway on the bunker.

Snapshot; check your grip and hold before you pop from cover. Trust the dot exactly, shoot and come back.

Shooting angles through holes; when you have some monkey shooting at you from crack or small second story window and you can't hose them down, a sight will let you figure out your shot quickly and come back on line when a opportunity presents itself.

Ignore it; just because you have a sight doesn't mean you have to use it. Using a sight will help you develop the feel for a marker quickly. You may not want it at all after a while. There are also play structures where you can't use a sight very well; don't force yourself to use a sight.

I'm waiting for PTP to start making tritium sights again. Daisy sights only last me a few night games, but it's fun one-shotting people in the dark at a distance.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

The Armsons are high quality with the fiber optic bringing a lot of light to the dot. The Dye Izon, and other knockoffs tend to have very dim dots, even on a bright sunny days. The knobs also aren't very robust, and strip out easily.

The Dyes and the knockoffs were made to attach to something like a .22 dovetail (the dovetail that used to be popular on .22 rifles and airguns).

I haven't seen the more recent Dye Tactical sights in person but, I can say that they have a picatinny type attachment and, they redesigned the exterior. So, it's a question of the internals- did they do them better this time around?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
The Dyes and the knockoffs were made to attach to something like a .22 dovetail (the dovetail that used to be popular on .22 rifles and airguns).
Just a general note; if you are shopping for a used PTP/Armson, they come in at least three mounting styles, .22 dovetail, weaver/picatinny, and AR carry handle. Even the .22 dovetail model has different mounting length versions. So be sure you know which one you are looking at.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts