mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

MCB (and Internet forums in general) are the new "paintball magazine"

I would love to see, however, an electronic-only paintball magazine. It wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part is actually paying for all the going out to events.

And doc, you're right. Even mid nineties I remember feeling like APG intended audience was ONLY first timers and newer players. Great name though. Action Pursuit Games. WAY cooler sounding than "paintball." Just say it to yourself. Paintball.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL View Post

And doc, you're right. Even mid nineties I remember feeling like APG intended audience was ONLY first timers and newer players. Great name though. Action Pursuit Games. WAY cooler sounding than "paintball." Just say it to yourself. Paintball.
APG and the other magazines filled a niche that the internet now overflows.
I really liked APG. They had an attitude to promote the sport of paintball on all levels. They allowed writers like me to publish lots of articles on tactics, playing styles, and equipment. I covered a few scenario games for them that were intended to show how much fun they can be for players of all levels. They really did try to reach everyone from the tournament players to the first timers and you can't fault them for that.
The real meat of APG and all the other magazines, was advertising. The gun ads were drooled over by the readers. I always felt I was providing fill for the pages between the ads. But I was very happy to be a contributor and hopefully, people who read the articles during the mid to late 90's found something that either brought them new ideas or just into the sport.
I miss that APG, it was murdered by the internet.
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hand of Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL View Post

I would love to see, however, an electronic-only paintball magazine. It wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part is actually paying for all the going out to events.
Like this?

PaintballX3 Magazine & Portal

Or this?

World Domination
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Thanks karnokr!

Hey BrettG, I hope I didn't sound like I didn't enjoy APG. It was the very first thing I ever saw that had to do with paintball and I had a subscription up until about 6 years ago or so. The ads really were the thing. I remember back in the day i&i had like a 4 page spread. I really miss it too. best bathroom material ever, now i have to settle for game informer. The APG scenario and tourney articles were fine (there were other mags that gave more space to coverage) and the photography was always pretty good. I don't think I ever saw an adequate gun review, though.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Actually, the photography in APG was awful.

Pop open any decent gun magazine, or better yet a car magazine, and compare what you see in APG. The car mag photos are clear, bright and sharp, while, save for a thin color section covering a tourney or something, most of what you saw in APG was a low-contrast B&W, that looked like it was photocopied out of a newspaper.

The ads had better production values than the gun-review photos.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Well sure that's a car or gun mag.
I do remember that eventually a couple other mags came out that had MUCH better photos. One even had a section specifically for good photos. Was that facefull?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Funny, just after I read this post, I found the latest issue of APG in my local Barnes and Noble.

The trend that I've been watching them take is towards airsoft, and in the latest issue, they seem to try and publish articles that are kind of dual use (mil-sim/woodsball and airsoft).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 01-16-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling...
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Technically, APG started out as a dual topic- paintball and Lazer Tag. The first three issues or so were mainly paintball, but also had articles (and ads) for Lazer Tag gear.

That's why it was "Action Pursuit Games", and not "Paintball Games" or something like that.

But by the fourth issue or so, the laser stuff got dropped entirely because there just wasn't any interest.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I had the early magazines but, to be honest, I completely forgot about all laser tag articles (I may not have even read them).

But, in those days did they write one article and make it applicable to both paintball and Lazer Tag? In the current edition, I know they wrote one article specifically (Top Ten Tactical Wish List), and I remember reading another that was similar (I'll have to wait til I get home to confirm and post).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have the 3rd issue and they announce in the Magazine that they will no longer be covering lazer tag because paintball players think it's for wimps etc...kinda funny
Cartah lovah is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts