mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Paintball Magazines (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/223229-paintball-magazines.html)

Jello78 01-11-2013 09:50 AM

Paintball Magazines

so i went to Barns & Nobles and i was looking for some paintball magazines and oddly enough they didn't have any at all. Did every paintball magazine vendor stop printing and producing magazines? and is there any out there that i can just pick up and read or it everything on the internet now? i was really shocked.

cwest1977 01-11-2013 11:06 AM

There is not really a good paintball magazine out right now.

Raleighpaintball.com 01-11-2013 11:17 AM

APG still is in production, but is only 6 issues per year. Otherwise, all the others are gone as far as I know. I have a subscription to APG. I have not even seen APG in stores in years.

JaKaL 01-11-2013 11:35 AM

Wow that makes me sad. Not too surprised though, the way the print media has died across the board.

Cartah lovah 01-11-2013 11:57 AM

I have some old issues from 1987 :)

Jello78 01-11-2013 12:11 PM

i was just surprised to see this at barns & nobles. but i mean, not even one issue of any paintball related magazine in the whole store. it was sad. Airsoft had at least a variety to choose from.

p8ntninja 01-11-2013 12:12 PM

All the good mags are no longer in production. APG is a joke of a magazine now. I miss FaceFull, Splat! and the good old APG.

kill-n-spree 01-11-2013 09:53 PM

Facefull was the best magazine. I kept almost every issue they had.

DocsMachine 01-12-2013 06:23 AM

I was kind of wondering this myself. I checked the magazine rack at the local grocery store recently- admittedly pretty much the first time in well over a year- and couldn't find APG.

Now, they only seemed to carry it sporadically in the first place, but I think at this point, it's gone. As In I don't think the company that stocks the racks even carries it anymore.

But I had a quick jolt of curiosity and did a couple of quick counts: There were no fewer than four separate magazines for knitting and quilting. Quilting magazines.

There were three different magazines just for custom choppers, and eight in all about motorcycles.

Eight different magazines on motorcycles.

The biggest kicker? Thirty six different gun magazines. Thirty Six!

Now, I'm sure that more than a few were some kind of special edition, a year's end annual, or a one-off special issue that only dealt with a certain narrow style of gun. But still, thirty? Even just having ten different magazines seems somehow excessive, but thirty?

Or truck magazines- I remember when all they had was Off Road and 4 Wheel and Offroad. Now there's those two, one for just diesel trucks, one for just Jeeps, one for the hardcore rockcrawler, one that's apparently only for show trucks...

But paintballers can't keep one magazine going? That's just wild...

Doc.

DocsMachine 01-12-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p8ntninja (Post 2589507)
APG is a joke of a magazine now.

-APG has been a joke since the mid-late 90s. I recently unearthed a small stack I had, dating back to mid 1999. I'm pretty sure I hadn't read them since the day I got 'em (back when I was still buying 'em out of habit off the racks) and I have to say I was actually kind of appalled at how poor they were.

There was only five issues or so, but NO so-called "gun test" involved anything more advanced than a Rhino Spitfire (a cheap Spyder clone from back in the day) and the "ask Dr. Paint" columns (a typical Q & A type article) involved absurd questions that might as well have been "Gosh Dr. Paint, my barrels dirty! What do I do now?!?"

The best one- to use that term loosely- was a 'review' of the even-then-already-two-year-old Air America Apocalypse... not the Apocalypse system, they apparently had just the reg. With no tank. The "review", naturally enough, didn't involve actually trying the regulator.

Doc.