mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
cocker valve questions

So, I'm building a stock class sniper, and I've got a few questions.

1). What valve would work best? I do plan running reg'd 12g, and im looking for the max efficiency.

2). Are there any regs that handle the input/output pressures I would need to run particularly well?

3). How could I reduce the amount non-firing control volume, basically, how do I rig up an asa with bucket changer, and a reg with the least amount of hose and extra volume.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Palmers made a reg specifically for this purpose:
12 Gram CART Regulator [PPSP026] - $120.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Might be a good pairing with a LT valve.
HP Low Turbulence Valve Assembly - Sniper [PPSP041S] - $39.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
If you're running stock class on 12 grams, the best setup for efficiency is probably the old style (pre-98) valve with the Sheridan style springs. In that case, no inline reg, just mount the bucket changer on the vertical ASA.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
Is there actually that big of a jump in performance between an upgraded valve and the stock one in my '99 autococker?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer0303 View Post
Is there actually that big of a jump in performance between an upgraded valve and the stock one in my '99 autococker?
No... Though it depends. Since you want to run on CO2 12 grams, most aftermarket valves commonly available will not offer you any advantages. Quite the opposite in some cases.

There is nothing wrong with the Palmer LT valve linked above, but you probably don't need it.

I would start tuning with your stock valve and the stiffest set of valve and hammer springs from a madman (or similar) spring kit if you don't want to retrofit to the old Sheridan style springs.

Last edited by WilD; 01-22-2013 at 11:42 PM.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
So the problem with the 99+ valves is that they sweetspot ~400 psi. What will happen if you hook up unregged 12 grams to it is that as the pressure gets lower on the cartridge you will get massive shoot up. As in a gun that is shooting in the 280's on the first shot will be in the 360's towards the end of the cartridge. Either get a valve designed for high pressure(like the palmers) or use a regulator.
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I can attest to that. Its scary when the first 3 shots are 270-290 then 310, 315, 324,330 to 360-370. It climbs high. And contrary to "normal" thinking.
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
gnar

CCM Fan
but if I run a regulator, this wont be an issue? Will macroline handle the pressure output by 12g safely?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
yes and yes
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penarol10 View Post
So the problem with the 99+ valves is that they sweetspot ~400 psi. What will happen if you hook up unregged 12 grams to it is that as the pressure gets lower on the cartridge you will get massive shoot up. As in a gun that is shooting in the 280's on the first shot will be in the 360's towards the end of the cartridge. Either get a valve designed for high pressure(like the palmers) or use a regulator.
Thats the function of the springs, not the valve. You can spring the 99 valve to sweet spot higher. For 12 gram use, the older small passage valves seem to work best without a regulator. And as someone else said, the original Sheridan style springs work real well with unregged 12 grams. You need a hard valve spring to reduce the shoot up, as the spring provides consistent pressure on the valve seat regardless of what the pressure is at from the 12 gram.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts