mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxerexx View Post
That is highly dependent on the tank. My ninja 13/3k for example does need to be hydro'd as it falls outside the exemption guidelines.
Please explain, I was under the assumption that both Ninja and Gorilla 13/3000s had unlimited hydro.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
my ninja's got a bunch of dates on it too, and im under the impression for whatever reason it does need to be hydroed (13/3k). Love to know why too, I know a lot of times the 13/3 are exempt.
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Aluminum tanks, empty (I am referring specifically to the 48/3000 here) weighs in more than a 68/4500 tank. But once you add in air (Yes, it does have a weight), the 68/4500 slightly edges out the 48/3000 tank, while giving you twice as many shots. The only good thing about an aluminum tank (Taking 13/ and 22/3000 tanks) comes from the lifespan of the tank. Aluminum will sell for around $50, CF for around $150. Add in two hydro's over the 15 years, at $20 a pop, you have a total of $90 for the Aluminum, and $190 for the CF. Let's say that you are still playing after 15 years, so with the Aluminum, you get it hydoed again, for $20. If you have a CF, you throw it away, and pop off another $150 for a new CF tank. You have paid over three times as much for CF as you did for Aluminum. That is, in opinion, the only good thing about an Aluminum tank.

Now, 13/ and 22/3000 tanks fall under the 2x2 rule. Meaning two feet or less in length, and two inches or less in diameter. Technically, a 13 and 22 tank are just over two inches in diameter. Something like 2.1 inches at most.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

I believe Rob at Ninja stated it's because they're slightly larger than 2.0", I can't find the post though to see if there were any other reasons. This also applies to a bunch of the newer 9oz, 3.5oz and 4oz co2 tanks as they have a larger than 2" diameter. Mine also clearly states on it "5 year hydro".

American Hydrotest -Paintball Tank Testing. "Greater than 2 inches in diameter must be tested every 5 years."
xxerexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Damn, well then that sucks
Barrel Sale
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxerexx View Post
I believe Rob at Ninja stated it's because they're slightly larger than 2.0", I can't find the post though to see if there were any other reasons. This also applies to a bunch of the newer 9oz, 3.5oz and 4oz co2 tanks as they have a larger than 2" diameter. Mine also clearly states on it "5 year hydro".

American Hydrotest -Paintball Tank Testing. "Greater than 2 inches in diameter must be tested every 5 years."
I have a ninja tank that is smaller then 2inches in diamter its actually 1 7/8's. Deffinatly not two. Mines rebranded from Rap4 buts its deff a ninja tank. I contacted them because when I read the date on the tank it "expired" in 3 months after I got it. I was told by Omar(pretty sure, if not him another rap4 rep) that the 13in tanks they sell NEVER NEED TO BE HYDROED.
so the date on my tank is 08/2007 and ive filled it every month since I got it and its still go put air in it. I plan to use it all season too. The tank itself is wrapped in camo tape atm as I kept chipping the paint on the tank anyways. You cant even see the numbers on it anymore :-p.

anyways. Id go with whatever tank fits you best. I prefer 13's as the other aluminum tanks seem to get too wide at the butt of the tank and dont feel right with a pump IMO.

MCB FEEDBACK

4G010H3R0'S WTB THREAD

Facebook Page
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

My 13/3k is made by Catalina Cylinders, but specifically has the 'Impact Division' marking stamped into it, so it falls under:

DOT-3AL Cylinders "2 by 2 rule" (Catalina Cylinders Cliff Impact Division only)

Requalification not required per the note under table 1 in 49CFR part 180.205. The note reads, "Any cylinder not exceeding two (2) inches in outside diameter and less than two (2) feet in length is exempt from volumetric expansion testing."

From my readings, very few of our 13 or 22 ci tanks have this exemption.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me if my Pure Energy 13/3K tank is exempt from hydro? The bottle tells me it needs to be retested in 2015 but as I am reading this I'm thinking that is pure BS. I don't have my cloth measuring tape handy otherwise I would measure myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

If it specifically says that it needs to be retested, it does.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #30 (permalink)

Sent the guys at ninja an email, I will edit this post when I hear back.
Barrel Sale
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts