mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Extremely short barrels

So, as it turns out I probably need a tighter barrel for my Kaos Pump. I was looking at a 10 round tube and thinking, "wonder how that would look as a barrel." And I kinda lamely stuck in into the threads on my marker and liked how tight it made the whole set-up look and feel. Before this revelation, I planed to pick up a 14" .678 lurker, but now I am wondering about shorter barrels.
Who plays with them?
What do you like, what do you hate?
Is it dumb to throw a small barrel on my gun when using a 13/3k?
And finally is it worth my hard earned cash to pick up one instead of a Lurker?
oh and personal question: has anybody moved the barrel data that punk works has gathered from techpb to MCB?
Thanks in advance.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
ugh... barrel data.

It is great... if you are a clamp on a workbench. But I am not. Muscle memory works in a strange way, as does aiming, shooting techniques etc...

I typically aim down my barrel, I like things a little weighty, and I like to play tight. So short barrels work for me.

Try before you buy, if you can.

I have a cut down freak. I have a 10" (or so) Dye UL with custom tip. I like some short brass too.

I think Punkqorks stated that 8-14 made no difference, in terms of drag and too short.

Pick what works for you, and what you like.
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
My pipe kit as a 12, 14, and 16 inch front. When I play speedball I use either the 16 or the 12. If I want to push in bunkers to get angles I use the 16, if I want to be tight I use the 12.

Wouldn't drop below 12 though, you start losing enough efficiency/accuracy/marker capability to make it a bad idea.

When I play woodsball I find the 14 is the best. With a 13ci my set up (also shoot a Kaos Pump with woodsball) is tight enough already. I find the 14 (with good paint bore match) gives me AWESOME accuracy, amazing consistency, and allows me to get way more shots out of my 13ci (bore match plays a big role in that).

I'd get the Lurker, and later on a decent barrel kit (Pipes can be found cheap, I love em).
The Lurker is a great under bore barrel, if you wanna go short 12inch is fine. But a kit allows you to switch up both the length and the bore, which is much more useful then a single nice barrel, particularly for use pump players who need the extra accuracy of a good bore match, and don't want role outs.

But the .678 is a great single barrel to have aside from the huge stock barrel on the KP. The stock is a decent short barrel, better then most stock barrels in that price range. If the paint is too big for your Lurker the stock will shoot it well imo. But a barrel kit (thankfull A/C threaded) is the best Upgrade you could ever buy for you KP.

Edit: Mines more experienced in this question then mine have corrected me, apperently I am incorrect in claiming dropping below 12inch decreases performance, though i'm confident about efficiency.

Last edited by 99BPS; 01-24-2013 at 10:14 PM.
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I shoot and 8" J&J brass barrel on my mag most of the time. I have barrels from 8" to 16" and the 8 shoots as good as any. The only thing I really notice is the change in sound signature.

I think if you have a good bore/paint match barrels length has very little to no affect on performance. I think more is gained with a longer barrel strictly with stability and "site plane" more than actual performance from the barrel.
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
Wouldn't drop below 12 though, you start losing enough efficiency/accuracy/marker capability to make it a bad idea.
That's not based on fact, it's opinion. Test after test have proven that to be incorrect.

Go with a short barrel! You can play tighter in bunkers and it's a lot of fun!

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
On my ats I use a short 6in barrel. I hit everything just fine.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Oh idea time! Why don't I get the Lurker and cut down the stock barrel? How does one cut a barrel neatly? And how loud do they get with no porting?
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
I enjoy a 8" Lapco Bigshot with a .676 sizer--basically a 9" barrel-- on my T2. It's louder than longer barrels, but sometimes that's OK, depending on how I'm playing. I haven't really noticed any loss of accuracy between this setup and a longer one with the same sizer.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Euro-feed RT lover

I've always liked short barrels. However, a short barrel might matter alot more efficiency wise for a pump than it would for a mag guy like me. I like running a stubby 8in Armson barrel on one of my RT's sometimes, even with a 68ci tank it still feels like I'm weilding a lil sub-machinegun. I use it for the fun, compact aspect, rather than any performance benefit. That and it's loud as hell! My accuracy isn't as tight as with a longer 12-14in barrel, but range is exactly the same if they both chrono 280fps (despite old wives tales) so no biggee to me. I also used to run a 8in Lapco Bigshot on my old A5 that I ran 'hawaiin style' with my tank reversed under the gun. I had a e-grip on it and a 3-point gun sling to carry it with, and that thing was a fun gun. Deadlywind makes a stubby 8in barrel I thought would be fun to use too.

Tons of guys use pistols with short barrels, and plenty of mil-sim types use Tippy's with real short barrels (some even 2-3in short) for looks and fun. Iv'e seen several pics of people running very stubby Phantom pistol setups on here too. It's just paintball, so if you like it give it a try. You can always swap it out for a longer barrel later if you don't like it.

I think their lots of fun, as long as you don't mind giving up a little in efficiency/accuracy.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

What maggot said.
Panda I have one for sale pm me if you are interested I'm local in SoCal

Last edited by river031403; 01-25-2013 at 10:59 AM.
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts