mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Paintball Targets for Practice (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/225478-paintball-targets-practice.html)

Nashoba 02-05-2013 04:17 PM

Paintball Targets for Practice

So im new to paintball and have made two different practice targets, one is a home made pvc frame that holds a thick sheet of particle board up with triple laminated targets on it (for easy tear down and washing). The second is a PVC frame that suspends three tennis balls.

However, I am looking at something more, and was wondering is there any targets that the experts use to get their accuracy down. I am taking about .22 swinging targets (not the tiny once but the larger ones) and .22 Reset Targets such as the Champion Rest Target Link

Axel 02-05-2013 05:00 PM

Well, the JT Splatmaster line includes a couple of different targets. A lot of this stuff is available at Wal-Mart. If you want interactive targets, a lot of what is available at sporting goods and outdoor stores like Dick's or Gander Mountain would work just fine with paintball. Probably not the exploding targets, though, unfortunately.

Really for paintball it's more about snap shooting than bench rest target practice accuracy. How fast can you go from crouched behind a bunker to marker out and on target? Especially if you're playing Xball or speedball in general. So set up drills for yourself where you break from cover and time how long it takes you to put any ball on target, even if it's not the first ball out of your marker.

Now if you're trying to play stock class or even open class pump it's a different story. :)

But yeah, drills and practice are probably more important that what exactly you use as a target.

I like the tennis ball idea, though. I may have to steal that :D

Nashoba 02-05-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel (Post 2615563)
Well, the JT Splatmaster line includes a couple of different targets. A lot of this stuff is available at Wal-Mart. If you want interactive targets, a lot of what is available at sporting goods and outdoor stores like Dick's or Gander Mountain would work just fine with paintball. Probably not the exploding targets, though, unfortunately.

Really for paintball it's more about snap shooting than bench rest target practice accuracy. How fast can you go from crouched behind a bunker to marker out and on target? Especially if you're playing Xball or speedball in general. So set up drills for yourself where you break from cover and time how long it takes you to put any ball on target, even if it's not the first ball out of your marker.

Now if you're trying to play stock class or even open class pump it's a different story. :)

But yeah, drills and practice are probably more important that what exactly you use as a target.

I like the tennis ball idea, though. I may have to steal that :D

The splat masters shatter on impact as well as any airsoft target (hell they shatter with a decent airsoft rifle). The targets you can get at wall mart are far too small to hit anything with them let alone a paintball. As for the snap shooting... this is why I want these targets so I can use them with my snap shooting and run and gun drills. Sure its masochistic but thats why I am asking if there are any good .22 caliber swing or reset targets that are worth the money and do not have targets the size of quarters.

As for the tennis balls, its a great idea, but the problem is... they just spin around and then you have to untangle them. If worse comes to worse I am going to just make my own reset target device using tennis balls PVC and possibly cut plexiglass. If I end up doing that I will certainly make a Tutorial on how to make it, with proper measurements and patters and put it up here for everyone to give it a try.

T-T 02-07-2013 12:32 PM

Empty plastic bottles... Free and easily replaceable, make a good sound to confirm hits, even if you've ducked back in from the shot.

Hang them from your PVC frame, drop them on sticks etc.

AJpaintball4life 02-08-2013 12:31 PM

What I've done in the past was on my yard, to hang a square shaped cloth tied to a rope from one tree to another with 3 big circles drawn on the cloth itself. Then start firing away at it. It worked fine and I was also able to see how close to the center I'd shot.

NoX13 02-08-2013 12:39 PM

you can make or even buy a tree type target.http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...k2EapyzUCU-yWg

Rage 01 02-08-2013 01:44 PM

I use old baking pans...Round ones, square ones does not matter and they make a sound when shat..

tlane77 02-08-2013 01:51 PM

I use a tree

Spach 02-08-2013 01:56 PM

I have an old stump that I set up as a target. If my friends and I are having a good day at the field we like to say it's "like shootin' stumps in Spach's backyard!"

NoX13 02-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rage 01 (Post 2618643)
.Round ones, square ones does not matter and they make a sound when shat..

I cant imagine how hard it must be to pass something that size..

Ouch..