mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Maddman springs in empire sniper? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/225923-maddman-springs-empire-sniper.html)

hth 02-10-2013 10:42 AM

Maddman springs in empire sniper?

Should I be getting a madmann spring kit to tune my empire sniper?

How would I go about tuning it?

What performance increase should I expect?

JaKaL 02-10-2013 11:50 AM

why do you feel the need to "tune" it, and to what end?

answer that, and I can answer your question

hth 02-10-2013 12:27 PM

Better efficiency (I run 13/3k sometimes), different sound signature (nature of holding pump handle while shooting?), smoother stroke (I like return springs however, don't make me cut down my stock spring), and some how better consistency?

JaKaL 02-10-2013 12:38 PM

the rest of the things you mention negate better efficiency without A LOT of specific parts and A LOT of time tuning.

the spring kit will help you achieve all of those things just in different doses.

the harder springs will increase efficiency with higher pressure, make it more unnecessary to hold the pump handle forward in order to get good velocity, and make the stroke STIFFER (not smoother, only a different pump kit, delrin bolt, and sear/hammer polishing will improve smoothness)
I like a stiffer pump stroke. it's snappier.

the softer springs will lower your pressure and efficiency per ball but will also make the gun quieter, the pump stroke lighter, and increase your potential autotriggering speed slightly. if you were running semi it'd also allow you to operate the pneu's at a lower pressure which would make the gun less likely to chop a ball in half.

the process is basically trial and error after an educated guess. put your springs in, put the ivg into the middle, lower your input pressure to almost nothing, gas up, and increase pressure until the velocity stops increasing. if it isn't right start over.

hth 02-10-2013 12:45 PM

Is a spring kit a good thing to buy for my sniper or should I skip it due to minimal effects it will have on my marker?

JaKaL 02-10-2013 05:11 PM

Get used to what you have first, honestly. Especially if you have little experience. You can ruin how a cocker style gun shoots by screwing around with it.

Vitalsilence 02-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaKaL (Post 2620826)
Get used to what you have first, honestly. Especially if you have little experience. You can ruin how a cocker style gun shoots by screwing around with it.

i agree and disagree.
i agree get used to what you got first, if you can learn to tune it and achieve different results(i.e. tune it for better efficiency, then tune it for the lightest pump stroke, then sweet spot it and back again) this is how you get experience and understand different spring tensions and then be able to use said spring kits in the manner you desire.
but i disagree that you shouldn't "screw" around with it because you'll never understand how things work and how different setups yield difference results if you don't mess with settings and do your research. the only way to learn is to mess around with stuff. you got to break a few eggs to make a cake.

DamoNAN 02-10-2013 10:48 PM

You can remove the front bolt o-ring to achieve a smoother stroke.

JaKaL 02-11-2013 08:20 AM

Vital silence has a good point, however, I will just add one thing. Fiddling with your springs and experimenting is all good as long as you have something else to shoot on Sunday. Someone who comes in here with zero idea of what do do or how to start with something as simple as a spring kit needs to read a bit and play a bit before they rip their only gun apart.

I certainly don't mean to be discouraging but I am eminently familiar with the large amount of time and trial and error involved in learning how to tech and tune a WGP valve train.

Vitalsilence 02-12-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaKaL (Post 2621341)
Vital silence has a good point, however, I will just add one thing. Fiddling with your springs and experimenting is all good as long as you have something else to shoot on Sunday. Someone who comes in here with zero idea of what do do or how to start with something as simple as a spring kit needs to read a bit and play a bit before they rip their only gun apart.

I certainly don't mean to be discouraging but I am eminently familiar with the large amount of time and trial and error involved in learning how to tech and tune a WGP valve train.

True i guess i take for granted that i have a hand held chrono to test my tunes.