mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Terminus Est

new to phantoms, need parts and knowledge

I need the Borg collective mind on this one..

i have a phantom with Dukie DSP air through frame in a box on its way to me.

i know i need a trigger shoe for it, so if anyone has one please let me know. i prefer dust black or silver.

i hear that a ASP TPC will improve my shot count. (is that what its called?)

will this work with the dsp frame, and where can i get one?

i aim to get 40 shots off a 12g and i hear polishing and a TPC will get me there, is this true?

please speak slowly and use big hand gestures to me about this, the only nelson experience i have is with ATS markers

Thanks
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Is that Toronto Canada? Do you play with others that get 40 good shots at your temperatures?
Prologix MCB Feedback!
Prologix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

few basics
Dont change too much at one time - gets confusing - change one piece at a time - tune and learn what each change does

the TPC goes into the bolt - its the adjuster basically - the stock one has a covered face and vents on the sides with a flathead notch on the top for the adjuster to turn it - if you get a different TPC you will change your tool a bit (usually take off the end cap)

When tuning for shot count - you will possibly need a spring kit or assorted springs (main and back) to change your pressures (tho some regs are adjustable - never used a reg on my phantom so /shrug)

not sure whats local to you for parts - I usually get mine from CCI directly but I am stateside heh

gotchas

1) always check your pump handle lock nut - make sure it is properly adjusted (not eating your body) and that it is secure to the pump handle so it does not turn (nor allow the pump handle to turn) as that will change the stroke and may cause big problems.

2) when tuning for shot count be aware that you might lose a bit of consistency on the very ragged edge of shot count - so adjust and learn.

3) whenever tuning - using the same paint with good bore match and a good chrony are important - variance in the paint, barrel match can cause you to tune WRONG lol

4) barrel length matters if you are using CO2 - the shorty barrel will get less fps per shot - best lengths are 11in and 8in - 6in shorty no bueno.

5) use good co2 - MOSA/Lelands are great and consistent

6) time, temp, pressure, humidity are all factors to some degree - not much but a tad

honestly imho I am happy over 30 and will change as the situation demands. but to each their own =)

/salute

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Terminus Est

Prologix- yes, im in Toronto Canada. unfortunately I dont know what others are getting as i dont play with stock class users, I play with mil-sim players. sorry

Stitch- Thanks for the advice, very informative !
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

A few things that brought my shot count over 40+:

SSC or ASP fluted hammer paired with Red main spring and stock valve spring

SSC Bobbed valve (gauge was a bonus)

Bore matching with freak inserts. (another option from SSC) Freak inserts, Ifit or anything that matches paint size to your barrel will keep you from wasting paint

12' barrel

I do play in happy for 12ies hawaii but the count started on my phantom at give or take 30.

I tried the ASP TPC mod. I found that the fragile paint I use, (Evil, Anarchy and RP Premium) tend to dislike the mod and explode in my barrel. You may find it working but have a backup standard TPC just in case.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Terminus Est

ah so it is true that its harder on paint. perhaps ill follow what you did then. thats very good info too,thank you sir.

you Borg are pretty all-knowing..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
perfect setup for 40 shots is a dropout valve, tri fluted hammer, stock springs oring TPC (doesn't need to be ported),freaked barrel with a .677 insert. TPC about 2 1/2 turns in. if you're getting a DSP with the DSP frame I'd recommend getting your valve bobbed and gauged that should help not only track air usage but increase efficiency as well.

Source: I just built a killer micro phantom that gets 40+ at usable velocity with a dropout.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
A dsp valve is already bobbed. i dont know that it is as short as a traditional bobbed valve, but it is 1" shorter. it is already proted in the back for 1/8" npt.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
all work

Temperature and paint to barrel match are going to be the chief factors. If your planning on using this at CQB in warm weather then forty shots shouldn't be much of a challenge with the 250fps velocity limit. I get better than 30 with my T8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologix View Post
Is that Toronto Canada? Do you play with others that get 40 good shots at your temperatures?
Toronto is only 1.5 N of where you are We put away the dog sleds and disband the polar bear watch for a few months each year.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Terminus Est

ha ha Nightstar, how are you? hope to see you at CQB again.

ah great Dukie thanks for the info. I should have known you would have such magic already built in

Falcon, thanks for your advice, ill look for this TPC thingy and a better barrel.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts