mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Best place to hydrotest (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/225986-best-place-hydrotest.html)

SpinDoctor15 02-10-2013 11:31 PM

Best place to hydrotest

I've used American Hydrotest for the past couple times, and they've been great, tho the prices are getting higher as time goes on! (Not to mention shipping...) What is the best place you've used, and are the prices any good?

Also, I have a 16 oz CO2 that needs hydro, but it seems like a new tank would be cheaper than shipping, testing, and return shipping. Should I just look for smaller CO2 tanks (2in2ft rule?) and be done with it?! Thanks for your inputs!

98ssuck 02-11-2013 12:12 AM

It doesnt make a whole lot of sense to reydro co2 tanks. It is usually cheaper to buy a new one.

p8ntninja 02-11-2013 12:45 AM

I have personally never used them but I have heard GREAT things about Crossfire's hydro service. Lucky for me when I was living in SoCal I was local to Spectrum Gas in Costa Mesa and got my hydro'ing done there for $25 and back in two days.

B_i_s_c_u_i_t 02-11-2013 01:59 AM

check with your local fire station and find out where they get their SCBA tanks hydro tested at. Chances are there is a place that's reasonably close to you that can do it.

blackmagic71 02-11-2013 04:01 AM

I had Ninja hydrotest a couple of tanks for me. No complaints and easy to deal with.

Millar156 02-11-2013 08:28 AM

I have a local welding supply store that does mine. ~$20 and no shipping to worry about. Though is does make more sense to just buy new C02 tanks.

No Mercy Ever 02-11-2013 03:35 PM

My local place is American Paintball Tank Hydrotest. Paintball Hydro Test service

But, you run into the same problem with shipping. Less than $20 per hydro is great, and being local to them, I can take a couple of tanks in, hang out in town for the day, and drive home with fresh tanks. But when you factor in shipping, I highly recommend hitting up something local to you. But do what you can to remove your own regs, or have a paintball shop do it for you. Most places don't have a clue about removing paintball regs, and they tend to damage them. Not alot, but there are more tanks that get sent in for hydro that they get a damaged reg in the removal process than the tanks themselves actually don't pass hydro.

As to a CO2 tank, it isn't really worth it to get them hydroed. For the same price, or maybe a little bit more, you can buy a brand new 20 ounce CO2 tank. But if you can find a Blue Rhino that still does the CO2 tank swap program, go for it. The people that work at the place that does the swap don't have a clue about hydro, so you would be swapping an out of hydro tank for one in hydro.

Azreal 02-11-2013 03:48 PM

I have used crossfire 5 times. Always had great service and quick turnaround. They will also generally cut a price break if you send enough.

SpinDoctor15 02-11-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azreal (Post 2621712)
I have used crossfire 5 times. Always had great service and quick turnaround. They will also generally cut a price break if you send enough.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd be sending 3 tanks (if I include the CO2 bottle). Wonder why that changed, new regulations?

Oh well, guess I could buy a bunch of 3.5 or 4 oz'ers!

Craig 71 02-11-2013 07:27 PM

I have used F&M Fire Protection in Hyattsville MD. Hard to find and they did put marks on my regs when they removed them. They don't have real fast turn around, but they are local. Price was about $ 25 per tank.