mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
i picked up a spyder clone years ago at a yard sale. I gassed it up and big whoosh down the barrel. Owner told me it just needed an oring.....

took it home, dissasembled, checked all the orings and sealing faces, reassembled exactly as it was. tried it again with the same result.

Waaaaaait a minute! Why the hell was the poppet inserted from the hammer side????? yeah thats not right lol.

I swapped it into the valve side and everything was good to go. Keep in mind that I hadn't taken apart a blowback in 10 years and was having a brainfart when I reassembled it. Felt silly afterwards.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had a spyder land in my hands that wouldn't fire when the trigger was pulled. Click, thud... No pop, no leak. I tore it down and found that the hammer bumper (spring bushing) was in front of the hammer instead of behind. Pretty easy fix
Pat.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm typically one of the gun techs for my team. Had several occasions where friends or teammates would ask me to tech their gun since it wasn't working. 99% of the time, it comes down to a through cleaning & new lube solving the problem. Shocking.

Thunderstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~FinSec View Post
If it has tits or tires its gonna cause trouble.

Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-bpat View Post
I had a spyder land in my hands that wouldn't fire when the trigger was pulled. Click, thud... No pop, no leak. I tore it down and found that the hammer bumper (spring bushing) was in front of the hammer instead of behind. Pretty easy fix
Pat.
That's surprisingly common actually. Working at the local shop we had a whole string of blowbacks come through that had that exact issue. Sometimes I think that someone tried it, found the gun shot quieter (for obvious reasons), and told all their friends to try it.

Which remindes me, if I ever find who told the local kids to start lubing their blowbacks with vegetable oil (and it was a ton of them) I would need to be restrained before I do something horrible.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
...if I ever find who told the local kids to start lubing their blowbacks with vegetable oil....
That's nothing. I had a kid (about 13) at my old field ask me to fix his Spyder. It would shoot but not recock. I pull the bolt out with a SCHLUUUURP, look inside, and it looks like it's full of Vaseline. I ask him when he last cleaned and lubed it, and he said just before coming to play. I ask what he lubed it with...and he pulls a tube of KY out of his gearbag.

Me: Uhh...that's not for paintball guns.
Kid: What's it for?
Me: Where'd you get it?
Kid: Found it in my dad's drawer.
Me: Ask him.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Purchased a rare autococker from a lad I was trying to help on pbnation. He had gotten it for cheap ($50) and I handed him a tidy profit ($200). Other than the obvious timing issues, the original owner said he had problems getting it up to the required velocity. The rear velocity adjuster was screwed in to the max so I knew something was wrong.

I tore it apart as I do with all used markers when I get them and found that the valve retaining nut was not tightened down correctly and the valve was sitting in the marker sideways and forward... no wonder balls were just rolling out the barrel. I ended up having to use a dowel to knock it out from the front of the marker as it was wedged in there with gunk.
Kanadian-Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gun Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
That's nothing. I had a kid (about 13) at my old field ask me to fix his Spyder. It would shoot but not recock. I pull the bolt out with a SCHLUUUURP, look inside, and it looks like it's full of Vaseline. I ask him when he last cleaned and lubed it, and he said just before coming to play. I ask what he lubed it with...and he pulls a tube of KY out of his gearbag.

Me: Uhh...that's not for paintball guns.
Kid: What's it for?
Me: Where'd you get it?
Kid: Found it in my dad's drawer.
Me: Ask him.
gotta put the vaseline on the cocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I had to explain to a kid... and subsequently his father why using a home air compressor line was a bad idea for a remote line. After the father yelled at me for stifling his kids creativity I told him him and I quote "Fine use it have fun pulling yellow plastic shrapnel out of your kid for the next week.... it is not on my conscious any more and FYI it takes paramedics about 10 minutes to get here game starts in 5 minutes call them now I don't want him bleeding every where"

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

my friend has an autococker and it wouldnt shoot, balls just rolled out. kept scratching our heads as to why. few weeks later someone had a mr1 that was doing same thing. the bolt was in upsidedown on both guns.
Timicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

CCM Fan
I'll share one about myself.

A few years back I have either loaned a barrel to a teammate or I bought the barrel, I don't remember. I received the barrel at a Christmas party and let it sit unattended on a table that has the usual food, napkins, drinks ect. Comes time to go, I pickup the barrel and head home. The next day I'm cleaning one of my pumps and I got to air it up and check for leaks. I put a barrel on it and dry fire. BOOM, M&Ms and napkins fly out of the barrel, my face is priceless, and later at the field that weekend, the guys who stuffed them into the barrel on the table all had a good laugh.

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts