mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   best way to seal thread hole (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/226836-best-way-seal-thread-hole.html)

foldadoom 02-20-2013 09:55 PM

best way to seal thread hole

hi i have PITA leak from tiny thread hole (i assume i was drilled to allow are passage to the valve) anyway it looked like it was locked in with a white thread locking paste,

I have used gasket seal (cured for 24 hours) but it still leaks its pretty small and I cant get Teflon tape to hold on it, so what is the best product to use to seal the threads on a very small allen type type plug (probably 2-3mm)

cheers

gospeedgo1 02-20-2013 09:59 PM

i usually use blue loctite on my fittings and screws with good results.

heinous 02-20-2013 10:08 PM

set screw + teflon tape?

Grendal50 02-20-2013 10:12 PM

I'll second the blue loctite, I've been using that for a few years now with great success.

98ssuck 02-20-2013 11:34 PM

Blue loctite is not designed to seal pressurized fitting. It is designed to stop screws from moving. You need some loctite 565 it is designed for pressurized fittings.

foldadoom 02-21-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98ssuck (Post 2631240)
Blue loctite is not designed to seal pressurized fitting. It is designed to stop screws from moving. You need some loctite 565 it is designed for pressurized fittings.

cheers!.......is that the white paste?

Cunha 02-21-2013 01:53 AM

non permanent loctite will work if that is what you have. 565 may be optimized, but based on empirical evidence that myself and numerous other members can provide, non permanent thread lock works fine.

Now, if you're going to try to get a non tapered screw to create a seal, or a non tapered crub screw, than you aren't going to get a seal. A tapered screw or plug will almost seal on its own.

If that little grub screw is loose fitting you might need to try to find a larger screw, possibly the screw is on the small side of tolerances, and the hole is on the large side (even without damage this can make a hole difficult to plug)

Good luck!

foldadoom 02-22-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunha (Post 2631340)
non permanent loctite will work if that is what you have. 565 may be optimized, but based on empirical evidence that myself and numerous other members can provide, non permanent thread lock works fine.

Now, if you're going to try to get a non tapered screw to create a seal, or a non tapered crub screw, than you aren't going to get a seal. A tapered screw or plug will almost seal on its own.

If that little grub screw is loose fitting you might need to try to find a larger screw, possibly the screw is on the small side of tolerances, and the hole is on the large side (even without damage this can make a hole difficult to plug)

Good luck!

I will try the 565 first, it looks like it had a locking/sealant in it begin with...it was a bit of an experiment, the identical thread grub on the other side of the body i could not remove, it really needs to sit flush with the body as a cover plate then goes over it.

cheers