mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best hybrid hopper and FS marker?

Hi,
I'm new to the forums, so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I play woodsball, and at my local field the most common engagements are at ranges where conventional markers are at a huge disadvantage to the FS markers many people tend to use. But I'm not willing to give up my 'salvoing' capability for the odd close range encounter, and I would like to have a backup plan if I run out mags in longer games, without having to haul a second marker. That's where my dilemma comes in. Are there any markers that can effectively switch on the fly between mag fed First Strike rounds and hopper fed paintballs?

As far as I know the only viable option as of now is the Dye Assault Matrix, but it's a bit too expensive, and I don't want to buy it only because there aren't any alternatives on the market. Presuming that there are currently no alternatives available, are there other similar markers on the horizon?
m55ikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
My Sarcasm is Legendary

Have you checked out Tiberius Arms? you can put a hopper on a T9.1 and twist the barrel to switch from the Mag of FS rounds to the Hopper. Or maybe the one Spyder put our the Hammer 7 I think it's called. I'm guessing a pistol is out of the question.

MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

PBN Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=507494

A5OG: http://www.a5og.net/feedback-b-s-t/3...-feedback.html

I play paintball in a Fatsuit.
BIGNUGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I think the new DYE DAM will switch on the fly also. Here are some links to some threads here about FS capable markers.

new pump by spyder
Spyder MR5 FS Ready
DYE DAM (DYE Assault Matrix)
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! The Spyder E-MR5 looks interesting, not sure about the quality though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uUli5A-YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUGLY View Post
Have you checked out Tiberius Arms? you can put a hopper on a T9.1 and twist the barrel to switch from the Mag of FS rounds to the Hopper. Or maybe the one Spyder put our the Hammer 7 I think it's called. I'm guessing a pistol is out of the question.
Yeah, but I've heard it's not really made for a hopper (lots of chops and no eyes). I would like to have full auto hopper action, or at least a reasonable semi ROF. I will preferably run with a remote BTW.

Last edited by m55ikael; 02-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by m55ikael View Post
Yeah, but I've heard it's not really made for a hopper (lots of chops). I would like to have full auto hopper action, or at least a reasonable semi ROF.
the feedneck / mag switch on the tiberius guns is totally useless. I see what they were trying to do but they're impossible to use in play.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
The only time the T9.1 has issues with a hopper is when it is a grav feed hopper. Put an agitated or forcefeed loader on there and you're golden

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
The only time the T9.1 has issues with a hopper is when it is a grav feed hopper. Put an agitated or forcefeed loader on there and you're golden
Switching from mag to hopper seems like a real hassle compared to the DAM? Don't you have to pop the mag?

Looks like I'll be waiting to buy a used DAM, or some other comparable marker that will be made in the future. The Spyders seem to be very unreliable according to user reviews.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m55ikael View Post
Switching from mag to hopper seems like a real hassle compared to the DAM? Don't you have to pop the mag?
yeah, I never had a clean swap between hopper and mag. The when switching away from mag the barrel often chops a ball / FS and if the mag is empty the little spring loaded pusher jams on the barrel.

So yes, you have to drop the mag - AND on a Tiberius gun when you drop the mag two balls / FS rounds stay in the gun.

It's just a messy change. Not usable in play.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
yeah, I never had a clean swap between hopper and mag. The when switching away from mag the barrel often chops a ball / FS and if the mag is empty the little spring loaded pusher jams on the barrel.

So yes, you have to drop the mag - AND on a Tiberius gun when you drop the mag two balls / FS rounds stay in the gun.

It's just a messy change. Not usable in play.
Thanks! Really appreciate input based on real world experience. I also wondered if it would chop balls when rotating the barrel, and it seems like my worries were not entirely unfounded.

This thread just makes me want the DAM even more. The only serious flaw I've found with it is that the board automatically switches off after 10 minutes of inactivity. Now that wouldn't be a problem for normal games, but for big scenario events it certainly isn't ideal.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gun Designer

The E-MR5 isnt that bad its just a simple blowback spyders always get a bad rap. The thing with blowbacks like spyders is over 15 or so bps they become chop monsters even with eyes so if you keep the speed low you should be good. Also there are many spring kits out there to increase the performance by a metric **** ton. For the price an E-MR5 should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts