mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

They're light, and that's about it.

They will scuff and suffer wear as easily as a plastic barrel.

You know why?

Because they are effectively plastic (polymer) barrels.

Throw some carbon in between the plastic, and suddenly you have the "hardest, smoothest barrel on known to man that seems to shoot through breaks?"

No, you have a plastic barrel with some carbon reinforcement.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I think something that needs to be mentioned here is the type of material used in the bore. I don't think any of them have straight carbon fiber as the bore surface and it appears that most of them use some type of additional coating. Therefore, it's worth considering the merits of the various coatings in use by different manufacturers.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Years ago I used to shoot Stiffi's exclusively because the guy kept sending me different ones for free in different sizes to advertise. I like the quality of build, as they were laid up on arbors, but a few of the brake cuts would fail easily and tended to snap, but they finally got it right. A huge selling point is light weight, but lately I have been fooling around with vintage full stainless DYES, Lapco's and long J&J's, to see if fighting the inertia of the weight would help during pump autotriggering. I have been seeing my "groups" for lack of a better term tightening because of that. My philosophy now is to get some weight out on the end of a long barrel to cut the movement and dampen down inputs. This has more benefit to say, mech autocockers and Phantoms than Ego's, but the priciple applies. You can be fast and twitchy, or add weight or inertia to dampen movements. Dampening is working right now.
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

if you have a heavy gun like a Emag then try to shave off weight where you can. if not, go with what you like or what shoots good for you. there is a reason why there are about 4+ dozen different barrels on the market. there is no one barrel that is the best overall.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
In a previous thread on this topic:
Your comments on the subject are the misleading ones.

Show me an example of a carbon fiber barrel failure. It's an extremely rare occurrence. The carbon fiber barrels that we use today are surviving everything we put them through.

And the weight decrease... Is in the spot where it counts the most. At the very end of the lever.

What's special about carbon fiber? It's guaranteed 5% better than aluminum in pretty much every area.

If you don't care about that 5%, then buy aluminum and also shut up.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

like a touch screen... despite being 20+ year old technology, some people are still impressed. To me, it is just a more durable plastic/fiberglass, it was really cool when I was 14 but I've gotten over it.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Show me an example of a carbon fiber barrel failure. It's an extremely rare occurrence. The carbon fiber barrels that we use today are surviving everything we put them through.
There's failure, and then there's surviving. Or perhaps it's better to say there are many modes of effective "failure", and you have soft parametric failures ("not as good as it should be") and harder catastrophic failures ("it asploded in my face").

Scuffing on these CF barrels is a very common occurrence. So while it didn't catastrophically fail, i.e. break outright, it may be so scuffed on the inside that it may affect performance and you want to get a new one.

It also happens to be a somewhat difficult phenomenon to photograph correctly.

Quote:
What's special about carbon fiber? It's guaranteed 5% better than aluminum in pretty much every area.
initial surface quality - equal
surface durability - (anodized) Aluminum is better
chemical resistance against stuff like polyethylene glycol - ? (this seems to be a gray area; I'm guessing aluminum on this one)
Cost - Aluminum is better
Weight - Carbon fiber is better

It's fair to characterize a CF barrel as a very expensive high performance disposable part.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Your comments on the subject are the misleading ones.

A
What do you consider rare. I have personally broken 2 Stiffis with crescent cuts, 1 freak tip with holes, and an old, I think 32 degree carbon fiber where the lamination failed at the back's glue line.
Although CF is strong, certain cuts or machining can weaken the tube if there are not enough laminations to secure the resin. Metal can be stronger under certain processes.
Brent.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Pole vaulted over my barrel once so i'm sold on strength but whatever.

Mainly like it cause of the weight and looks. Normally I dont care about "lighter" stuff, but i can actually feel quite a difference between the cf barrel and alumnimum one when snapping. You're getting rid of quite a bit of that pendulum weight from the end, plus it takes Freak inserts, so thats the best part on my DW, i dont like the look of the freak barrels.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I use a DW Fibur for two reasons:

1. I don't need super light guns but I personally find it easier to point and gunfight a gun with a light front end.

2. It is a one-piece barrel that is compatible with Freak inserts.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts